Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new to this forum. I've got a new to me 2013 SE with the 2.4L i4 and PZEV (not sure if that'll matter here or not). I've put about 1k miles on it and it's been a champ for me so far with now 74k miles on it.

I've spent time going over just about everything and the only issue I can find is what looks to be an oil leak. I thought it may have been coolant from the water pump housing that attaches to the block, but doesn't appear to be so.

Just above the water pump housing, where the cylinder head meets the block, and below where the vvt exhaust solenoid inserts, there is what looks to be two 3 passages blocked by what looks to be a metal ball bearing. One passage faces the bottom of the car, one faces the back of the car, and the other juts out a bit further and faces slightly upwards. I can't confirm for sure, but this looks to be the source for the leak.

I'll attach some images to clarify what I'm talking about. Any idea what this passage is? And why it would be leaking? To my best educated guess, I'm thinking it's some sort of pressure relief? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Pictures from my car:

https://imgur.com/a/CExooym

Here's a clean image of the head. The area in question is at the very bottom right of the following image, where it looks to be a ball bearing blocking a passage:

·
Premium Member
6,163 Posts
From the Pic's of the actual motor...Looks more like the crank pulley seal is leaking and pulley rotation "slinging" the oil around. Oil pan looks like it has been off also, as the pan gasket looks poorly laid and cold be seeping also. Good luck, not MAJOR catastrophic problem but a bit of a pain to do (and do well).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From the Pic's of the actual motor...Looks more like the crank pulley seal is leaking and pulley rotation "slinging" the oil around. Oil pan looks like it has been off also, as the pan gasket looks poorly laid and cold be seeping also. Good luck, not MAJOR catastrophic problem but a bit of a pain to do (and do well).
I'll have to look more into that. The belt is dry, and from my initial inspection, the whole belt side of the engine looked dry too. But I want to get it in the air and inspect all the pulleys with the belt off. Maybe a good time to go in through the wheel well (assuming it's like most transverse mounted engines where there's wheel well access to the crank). Thanks for the heads up, i'll look into it.

And fortunately, i opted to toss in a cheap extended warranty that covers stuff like this with a deductible of $100. So if I play my cards right, i could possibly have this all sorted for $100. I mean, I would normally do it myself, but why do it myself when someone else can do it for me for $100? Then it'll give me a chance to drive my S60R again lol.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts