Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1999 Avenger ES V-6 TIMING BELT (Orig. looks brand new!) My 1999 Avenger has 81K miles and I was going to go by the manual and not replace it 'til about 95K miles. I only drive it about 2-3K miles/yr. Well, several people thought I was CRAZY not to replace it with it being 17 yrs. old and having an "interference engine" so I finally "caved" but had my mechanic keep the original belt and it looks BRAND NEW ! It's made of rubber (NOT a chain) and covered but WOW. I guess it was a gamble though and now it's replaced. Cost was $900.00. Ugh.

·
Premium Member
7,357 Posts
WOW, great to hear from you again! Nice to know about another Coupe that is being WELL cared for. The TB and water pump job can get rather costly due today's LABOR rates unless knowledgeable enough to DIY the job, it is pretty tight quarters to get at.
Hope to hear from you more often!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW, great to hear from you again! Nice to know about another Coupe that is being WELL cared for. The TB and water pump job can get rather costly due today's LABOR rates unless knowledgeable enough to DIY the job, it is pretty tight quarters to get at.
Hope to hear from you more often!
Well, I just wanted to share my "timing belt" deal but last night a friend /mechanic said "I've seen belts that are old and look new that have still snapped" so that's interesting to know. I just wish manuals would talk about YEARS and not just miles because some people don't drive that much. I love my Avenger and plan to keep driving it hopefully another 81K miles! It still looks great and has been a solid car. So far I've had the distributor replaced; one plug; struts; starter; two sensors and kept up all the maintenance.

·
Premium Member
7,357 Posts
My '98 is just shy of 101K, but NY(Buffalo) winters are not so kind. What corner of the world do you keep yours in? Just look at things this way. By now it is paid for, and maint. costs are still less than making payments and maint costs...
AND Where are you going to find a NEW CAR that looks as GOOD as our coupes! Even the last years redesign do not look as good (2001 - 2006) Biggest things motor wise for me have been an alternator and VC gaskets. Brakes and wheel bearings are normal maint for any car. I do need to replace the TB on mine(due to age) But I found from the original owner that it did get one at 80K when I got it at 91K.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it's true I love our Avengers and couldn't stand the new models that came out several years ago! And I haven't had a car payment in over a decade and LOVE that too! I live in Santa Maria CA where the ave. temps are 70 yr. round! Incredible climate - I'd never move! BUT my car is black so UV damage - had to paint the tops after 5 yrs. old but when the sides showed UV damage I just put vinyl striping on which I've changed out several times. I just wish my car had more "get-up n' go" power... it's slow to speed up but is a smooth ride. My car has been garaged and outside just during work hours. I do notice a "creeky" sound often. I've had the brakes checked and it still has a high-pitched "screech" when I stop (been that way for many years!)...Anyway, time for work - enjoy your Avenger!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.