Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, the problem is this: The spark plugs aren't sparking.
i was wondering if anyone knows of any known issues with this model, that might be a quick-fix? i really don't wanna pay the $8x an hour for the dodge dealership to throw my car on a jack and let it sit there to rake in my cash, seeing as it's limited.
(only 16, and cant find a job x.x)
thanks in advance,
Ryan

p.s. - ask if you need anymore info, and ill get back to you as soon as possible

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Thanks for posting it here Ryan !I was gonna copy it over !
Ok gang .. Ideas ? Thoughts?:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is the car getting fuel? check the voltage at the fuel pump and listen for the pump to prime when the ignition is switched on.

Finding out if the car gets fuel is the first step to figuring out exactly what part is broken.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, my dad tried spraying starter fluid straight into the engine and having me turn it over. absolutely no spark =/
and not sure what and ASD relay is??
sorry, im pretty new to cars =/

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
You HAVE to check for VOLTAGE on the fuel pump FIRST ...
Removethe rear seat , there are two small black pull tabs that release the seat bottom ...
There are two small hatches one in the dead center the other behind the drivers seat ...
Remove the hatch behind the drivers seat , then check that plug for voltage...
No Voltage = Fuel pump relay, or other power trouble
Voltage , then need to check the ASD relay (Auto Shut Down relay )

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you for your help, just sucks that it came so late =/
we're taking it to the chrysler shop tomorrow to have them check it with their computer =/
but if it costs too much, or something goes wrong in getting it there, ill try this =]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alright, well, i slept in so we didnt take it in this morning =/
but my dad never checked the ASD, cause he didnt know where it was.
when i go home later, we'll check it, but if that's not the problem, where else do i go?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have a half day of school tomorrow, final exams =D, then ill be online, searching for help on how to fix my car =S i only have a $600 budget till i can find a job, so id really like to find the problem and a solution, instead of trial and error. id love to come back tomorrow with some things to read up on, and find in my car for possible fixes. basically tore apart my trunk today, looking for the fuel reset switch thing, come to find on google, that my car doesnt have one?? really sucks =/ and im not sure how to reset my asd relay? or if i have to buy a new one =/
My dad used to be a mechanic, btu not in any specific make of cars, just general. he says it seems to be getting power to everything, and he thinks it could be the ECU. Any thoughts??
Thank you so much for any help and or advice in advance, and thanks for reading.
please write back soon,
Ryan

Reminder- i know almost nothing of the location of anything within the car, so some helpful hints on locations with your tips would be nice.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I told you the EXACT steps to get to the fuel pump , NEVER mentioned the trunk ... never mentioned a fuel reset switch...

ECU is a LAST resort ... I HIGHLY doubt it would cause NO SPARK , there are hundreds of other things that can cause it Relay= $5 new ECU=$100's

Trying to troubleshoot over the internet is very hard , we have to depend on you for proper info ... We ASK for one thing and you have yet to answer ....
As mentioned we need to know VOLTAGE TO FUEL PUMP Yes or no
I can give you hundreds of things to read but with little knowledge of the car/location of items I doubt that it would help

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well yes, my fuel pump has voltage
and any info will hep, even if i dont know where it is, cause i can still ask my dad.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Sorry for double post- my last one wasnt showing up for some reason

Update: My dad gave me a manual for this care, which also covers the sebring, and the stratus.
so i'll be able to find the parts you refer to

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well if the fuel pump comes on and is priming, then your fuel pump relay and ASD relay are good as well.

Next thing i would check is the impedance in the distributor coil (or packs, depends on which engine you have) as well as checking on the crank position sensor voltage.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
both crank and cam shaft sensors are fine, along with the distributor - dad already checked those and replaced the dist.
but hanks for the help =D
any other suggestions?
Oh, and, according to one of BadVenge's previous posts, if the furl pump has voltage, the asd could still be bad?

·
Registered
6 Posts
if your ASD relay goes out, it cust power to the fuel pump / pump relay as well. So usually checking and confirming voltage to the pump covers all three of those items if voltage is confirmed.

Hmm. Have you checked out the contacts in rotor cap if you didn't replace it to see if they are all clean?

·
Registered
926 Posts
You failed to mention what engine you have.
There are a least two engines for that model year. 2.0L and 2.5L also you need to tell us if it is port FI or Throttle Body FI. Since you have voltage at Fuel Pump, let’s rule out fuel pump for now. Follow instructions below for standard trouble shooting, if everything checks out I would check:

Cam sensor or crank sensor(with out checking voltage and ground you really are not checking anything this is why you need a DVOM a weak or bad ground to one of these sensors will cause no spark) depending on engine and FI type. Also ignition module could be bad, this is located either on Dist. or under Dist cap.(some chrysler products mount the ignition module on the fire wall, and if moisture gets behind it you lose ground and a no spark results) You will need a DVOM to check sensors. This could be as simple as a bad timing belt. But it also could be worse. You may need to get a qualified mechanic if these simple steps check out.

1. Remove the distributor cap and crank the car. If the rotor turns you're ok. If it doesn't turn then that's your problem and you will probably need to change a timing belt/chain. 2. Check the spark from the ignition coil by pulling the coil wire from the center of the distributor. Use an alligator clip to attach a short wire to the coil wire contact. Bare the other end of this short wire and set it up so it's sitting very close to the engine block. Turn off the lights and try to start the car. You should see a spark jump from this wire to the block. If you don't see a spark it's likely your ignition module or ignition coil is bad. 3. If you have a spark maybe it's not getting to the plugs. You may need to replace the distributor cap and rotor. You can test if the plugs are sparking by pulling one, re-attaching the spark plug wire and seeing if you get a spark when you try to start the engine in the dark. Please note, the metal threads of the spark plug need to be shorted to the engine block to complete the circuit during this test.

Hope all this helps.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the the distributor was replaced, so i know thats not the problem, but ill check the timing issue. and i believe he said power is getting to the plugs? im not sure, ill talk to him tomorrow about it. thanks for the help =]
im happy with all the help ive gotten, and i really hope to get my car running soon.
ill try to get some pics up soon-ish

·
Registered
5 Posts
i has same problem
sometimes the call will not start (cant hear fuel pump kick on if u turn key off and on a few times it will start sometimes )
also it stalls out when u come to a stop sign or red light if u dont pump the gas 1 time
it is a 1996 dodge avenger 2.0 DOHC

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
If you can'y hear the fuel pump , you need to check for voltage on the pump when you turn the key to the 2nd position ...
No voltage = bad Fuel pump relay or wiring troubles
Intermittant relay can cause intermittant troubles

The non idle /stalling can be dirty intake IAC or bad EGR

1 - 20 of 28 Posts