Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. About a month ago, I installed a Typhoon 69 series CAI from K&N (pics on my profile) and I just had a couple of questions. I know the instructions say to remove the negative battery cable, but I did not do that. I did not see the need. People say the reason is so the engine PCM can reset so it can properly adjust to the increased airflow. The sound it produces is amazing. However, I have noticed no increase in fuel efficiency, and a very slight increase in HP if any at all. It advertises an 11 HP increase and a 14 ft lbs of torque increase. (im pretty sure the 11 horses is a difference that cant really be felt because it isnt necessarily a huge gain) I've also been told that it's ok not to disconnect the battery cable. The engine just takes a little longer to "learn" from its new air flow pattern. Lately though, as I have been driving more.....assertively...I feel a distinct "pulling" feeling as it shifts from 1st to 2nd. She never normally did that, and I knew for a fact that the PCM decreases its torque between gears. it was like she slowed down when she shifted. So the increase of torque is there. Long story short, will my car slowly but surely increase power the more I drive it as the computer learns? and will my fuel economy increase slowly as well? I just want to make sure I didn't really get a $300 noise maker.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
There are varying opinions on this subject. I feel that my car had a slight increase in power but there is no documented proof. My friend and I both tested the car before and after installation and both agree on a slight increase in power. There was no real difference in fuel mileage...it probably went down because of my driving habits and loving the sound:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are varying opinions on this subject. I feel that my car had a slight increase in power but there is no documented proof. My friend and I both tested the car before and after installation and both agree on a slight increase in power. There was no real difference in fuel mileage...it probably went down because of my driving habits and loving the sound:)
I do feel a slight increase. Either way, its a blast to drive. I haven't been able to drive much the past 6 months because of the police academy, but graduation is close, so I will be on the road a lot more

·
Premium Member
6,807 Posts
Now with that duty comes awesome responsibility, remember drive safely and obey the law. Ha-Ha !! Good wishes on making the thin blue line.

·
Premium Member
6,807 Posts
Guess I will have to take the Western route to North Carolina from now on and avoid Maryland and 95 altogether !

·
Premium Member
6,807 Posts
I do not want to muddle up your thread but, last time we went down 95 was a veritable parking lot and MANY yrs ago had a unpleasant visit with a trooper N. of Baltimore. Seems he did not like my driving skills! Good luck to you in your endeavors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts