Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a lot about this but no answers really. My avenger is stuck in limp mode. Or won't shift out of first. It runs fine when it is cool and shifts. But after it heats up it will not shift if I slow below 20 or stop. I have two codes. P0700 and P0755. I replaced the speed inputband output. I also replaced the shift control sensor (entire thing). Never had transmission fluid replaced and no filter either. It has 160k miles on it. I'm going to drop the pan tomorrow and change fluid and filter. If this doesn't fix it what else can I do?

·
Premium Member
6,323 Posts
Have a trans shop scan it for advanced codes and pressure readings, IMO you waited too long for fluid and filter change
resulting in possible internal damage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Changed the filter and fluid. Everything looked normal. The oil was not burned and smelled normal. The magnet had very little particles on it. The code still came up as p0755 and p0700. I reset the computer by unhooking the wires and touching the two together it ran for about 15 minutes then the gears went back down into 2nd and wouldn't shift out again. What else is there to change? The computer is all I can think of. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
6,323 Posts
Internal damage, and there are more codes available with an advanced scanner.How are you "pulling these codes? Scan tool or "key dance"?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its just a scanner tool used at the local AutoZone. Internal damage don't explain why it will shift when the car hasn't ran over night but then won't shift after about 15 miles. I've took it to a transmission place. They seem to think it's electrical. They are supposed to be testing wires and what not to find the problem.

·
Premium Member
6,323 Posts
A scan tool from AZ is not enough, a scanner that can read the tcm/bcm codes is needed the OBD11 only goes so far. The more advanced ones will read the solenoid switches and such in the transmission. And I am sorry that I can not explain things any better than what I have. We are owners of the make here and not all knowing factory techs here. We try and help but sight unseen makes for very difficult "pin point" answers to some problems.

Do you have any other codes that you have not posted?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Transmission place said they couldn't find anything other then p0755 and p0700. They think it's the pcm and they don't change them so I'll have to take it to the dealer

·
Premium Member
6,323 Posts
Hopefully they had the advanced type scanner I was talking of, and the results then would be encouraging that those 2 codes were the only ones found. Whether it turn out to be a pcm or wiring/sensor issue is a lot cheaper than a trans!

·
Registered
107 Posts
That sounds very similar to my problem.
I have a another thread started here for engine/trans code P0765 - underdrive solenoid.
Yours is the 2/4 solenoid.
I should double check my codes to see if I tripped a P0700.
I only have 76,000 miles. Never changed fluid.
I'm going to check the ohm resistance of the solenoid and change the oil.
I suspect I'll be going after the solenoid pack in the transmission. There are a suspiciously high number of solenoid packs available on-line... so, this may indicate a very common issue.

Do you have the 6speed or 4speed? Mine is the 6speed.

P0755 DODGE - 2/4 Solenoid Circuit

Possible causes
  • Low transmission fluid level
  • Dirty transmission fluid
  • Faulty 2/4 solenoid valve
  • 2/4 solenoid valve harness is open or shorted
  • 2/4 solenoid valve circuit poor electrical connection
The P0755 code is detected when TCM has detected a fault in the 2/4 Solenoid circuit
Possible symptoms
  • Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
  • Transmission will not shift gears.
P0755 DODGE Description
The 2/4 Solenoid is monitored at initially power-up, then every 10 seconds thereafter. The solenoids will also be tested immediately after a gear ratio or pressure switch error is detected.

P0700 DODGE - Transaxle Control System Malfunction
Possible causes
  • Shorted or open circuit within Transmission Control Module (TCM)
  • Faulty Transmission Control Module (TCM)
Since the P0700 is just and informative code, check the TCM for more codes to resolve the problem.

Possible symptoms
  • Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
  • Driveability problems
  • Transmission shifting problems
P0700 DODGE Description
The transaxle Control Module (TCM) monitors the malfunction of sensors and actuators relating to transaxle control. When the TCM detects a malfunction with the control, a signal is send to the Engine Control Module (ECM) to trigger the Engine Light or Service Engine Soon light. The ECM stores the P0700 code and it means the TCM detected a malfunction with the transaxle controls.

·
Premium Member
6,323 Posts
The worst way to get any suggestions is to do as you have. PLEASE start a thread with YOUR rides info and history prior to when this started, and whatever DIAGNOSTICS you have done to warrant your changing of the parts you have done. Many causes for SAME symptoms happen, there is no 1 absolute fix to try and repair by symptom.
Also would be nice to "check in" on the newbie check in page and introduce yourself to the whole Forumz Family.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts