Dodge Avenger Forum banner
61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
How much boost are you planning on running? You may be able to get away with something small like 5 PSI but then again it would really matter on what the stock manifold can handle since I am unsure of any aftermarket non plastic manifolds. I have been looking at the electronic super chargers but the battery part and the operational sensor is something hard to swallow... I will continue to dig around.

·
Registered
879 Posts
get a caliber kit.

·
Registered
879 Posts
The turbo kit for the 4b12 is the one that goes in the caliber. You could also use those cams since they are designed for the engine and turbo.

Other than that its all custom. One thing with adding FI is that you will have to consider your internals.. too much boost and you will blow your engine.

·
Registered
137 Posts
SO this thread was started in 08, no turbo kits have been provided. A few people have mentioned using caliber SRT-4 parts, yet they are quickly disregarded. Which is nonsense. If you have a 2.4 avenger and you want to go fast with a turbo, the Caliber SRT-4 engine is your best bet. The block is the same except it has enlarged oil ports to keep the engine cool. on top of that you could use the transmission as well.

Why we continue to beat around the bush about this is hilarious. ;)

I'm also willing to bet you could use the caliber PCM and BCM in the avenger with some wiring modifications to the harnesses. It's chrysler, they are very well known for using the same parts and programming on several platforms at the same time. If that would be to much, you could also look into Megasquirt, which is a fully programmable engine management system.

The factory reliability of the caliber engine is perfect for anyone trying to go fast and keep it on the road

·
Registered
31 Posts
And last posting is in 2015...and NO reports back of ANY successful completions from as far back as 2008!....
it just won't work. I think people just realize we bought a trash can on wheels. I know 3 people who were just as excited as I was to build this car, and after about 6 months-1 year, all of that goes out the window

·
Registered
879 Posts
If some one wants to donate about 3 grand to me I will get a turbo and have it installed. Money is the only thing that has stopped me from doing this.

Reactions: 5rebel9

·
Premium Member
7,062 Posts
Yeah, ain't that always the case! And I seriously wonder of all the "want plug and play" FI posters even have the money needed to do such in the first place.
Have never said that it can't be done, just that it is an undertaking that many prospective owners just can't afford to do on many of the mods requirements.
And how can definitive instructions and purchase costs be given here (as they ask for) when it has NOT been accomplished and posted here????

·
Registered
879 Posts
I have seen some turbo kits that would fit our cars.
Those run from 2000 to 5000. The cheaper ones do not have a tuner or piggy back so there is that cost as well and you need those because of the intake sensors.
plus to have it installed and maybe a cam upgrade which is another 600, plus making sure there is valve clearance and the install of that as well.
Then there is the exhaust portion
I dont know of too many people that would have all of the tools to do the install themselves. Mechanic labor cost is 75 - 100 dollars per hour.
Roughly 7K to put a turbo in our car.
I can always scour the internet for parts and order on part at a time and it would still cost me close to 3000 for the parts alone.

Reactions: 5rebel9

·
Registered
2008 Chrysler Sebring 2.4L
63 Posts
You can turbo pretty much anything... especially when this particular "anything" has a version with a turbo on it from the factory.

Lack of actual attempts is what I see here, and everywhere else. Lots of people too chicken$#!+ to be the first to try anything... just waiting for someone else to do it first is the most common BS excuse. Someone has to be the first. Or you just don't want it that bad.

Anyways, any turbo kit for an equal model-year Mitsubishi Lancer can be made to fit by any shop competent enough to eat using a fork without going blind. Even without an actual kit... grab a spare exhaust manifold, an angle grinder, a V-band end, and start welding. Wanna learn how to weld cast iron? Here's your chance.

The engine, itself, will be fine... pretty sure the prototype pacecar engine was pushed to 900hp... 99.9% of everyone everywhere will never see half that.

The transmission? Don't know. Probably shouldn't be adding a turbo to anything if you aren't already beefing up the rest of the drivetrain.

Look at the LSx community... they will stick a turbo on a junkyard motor, only changing injectors and valvesprings... never opening the oil pan or popping the heads on a 150K motor filled with rain water... puts 700hp to the ground in a weekend. All it takes is a little effort and enough confidence to actually cut your car.

·
Premium Member
7,062 Posts
@ DavidBoren: MAYBE YOU can be our FIRST. As I've posted many times. not a impossible TASK. BUT many see these 1/2 hr TV shows and want to do this. It is NOT that simple or 1/2 hr. a job ... even if a complete kit for the Avenger/ 200/ Sebring platform was available. Many have found out here what ACTUALLY is involved and decide their skills are not up to the task, OR their bank account is not full enough, OR they can't have the car down that long to do it.
Since nobody here HAS posted of completing or even shown "in work" proof, HOW can anyone here give definitive "how to" support??????

·
Registered
2008 Chrysler Sebring 2.4L
63 Posts
That's fair. I know I don't have the desire/money/skill/time/tools required to turbo the Sebring... but the biggest thing I am lacking is desire. The rest can be overcome if one sets their mind to it.

But, I believe, it is still very possible... there is adequate room between the engine and firewall to physically fit a nice little snail. There exists a factory exhaust manifold that either mates to a turbo, or already includes half a turbo built in. Even if you cannot find or do not want that aforementioned factory turbo manifold, you can modify a stock manifold. It can be done, and you already know it will fit. Lol. Point the wastegate towards the original exit direction of the manifold and weld the V-band end on the top/center of the manifold... shouldn't be too difficult, but I haven't put too much thought into it, honestly. Could probably add a turbo support to the Strut Tower Brace that used to cost like $25.

It's not that it cannot be done. Most people aren't willing to cut their cars. They talk themselves out of it easier than pulling the trigger, and the project dies in its infancy... thr blame, of course, gets pushed to literally any external source other than just admitting to being a pu$$y.

But, like literally freaking everything else, people want all the work to be done for them. Hand me a bolt on solution so I never have to figure anything out for myself. I have absolutely no sympathy for excuses.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts