Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Noob to the forum... I'm looking for some parts info on a 2008 Dodge Avenger 2.7L V6 DOHC Gas A/T.... I need to get a little more info on the 02 sensors for both the before and after catalyst applications.... All I keep seeing is the after catalyst sensor part numbers showing up when I search the MOPAR parts sites and do the searches.... are they using the same sensor in BOTH locations?? I ask because I'm chasing down the dreaded P0420 code and while looking at the live data from both banks and all four sensors, I'm not too convinced it's a sensor issue (the upstream and down stream sensors "seem" to track and aren't lazy or going out of range) and think it might actually be an intake leak after the MAF/MAP possibly due to the intake removal done to change out the oil pressure sending unit that had failed.... Any input you guys/gals can provide would be greatly appreciated in advance... Thanks...

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
First try to add a can of Seafoam to your gas tank and run for a couple days. Have an Auto parts supplier run all codes with a higher end scanner to get real time data. Sensor for changes should be manufactured by NTK/NGK for most Mopar engines. I have had issues with Bocsh before which cleared when an NTK was used as a replacement. Rock Auto is a good place to start when wanting reasonably priced parts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First try to add a can of Seafoam to your gas tank and run for a couple days. Have an Auto parts supplier run all codes with a higher end scanner to get real time data. Sensor for changes should be manufactured by NTK/NGK for most Mopar engines. I have had issues with Bocsh before which cleared when an NTK was used as a replacement. Rock Auto is a good place to start when wanting reasonably priced parts.
Hi, Did that... also tried a can of "guaranteed to pass" additive.... I don't think it's the cat or downstream 02 sensor on bank 1.... the intake had been removed to replace the oil pressure sending unit, and I think there may be either a bad O-ring or hairline crack in the intake manifold …. there are no exhaust leaks either from the exhaust manifold OR the exhaust system, so those have been eliminated as potential causes of the code.... I will record the live data graphs of the 02 sensors and the STFT and LTFT and see if I can upload them here for anyone to view and comment on...

-Rich

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fixed it!
Downloaded and then re-flashed the ECU, hacked it to eliminate the P0420 and P0430 from ever being throw again!!!
Now it won't ever turn on the CEL for that crap again...and as a bonus the emissions monitors always show ready now too...

Thanks for all the help from here guys...

R.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Great to hear you got it fixed. How did you 'download and re-flash' the ECU?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts