Dodge Avenger Forum banner

2008 Avenger Cowl Cover

9K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  JohnnyUK 
#1 ·
I am not mechanical or good at repairing cars. I just found out the part i am looking at on my car is called a Cowl Cover.

I had to replace a small part with the help of my brother, and i noticed the rubber gasket/seal around the entire Cowl Cover was melted, deteriorated and almost missing. So basically, the rubber seal is not even seated on my windshield at all and there is a gap where the rain water just goes down off the windshield. I could take pictures if needed.

My question is, i found another cowl cover online for $150. If i replace it, is it supposed to have some sort of seal or adhesion to the window shield other than just seated on top of it? It seems water would still just run underneath it.

This is so confusing unless someone is a genius. If anyone can help, i will gladly take photos or whatever needed.

#2 ·
Here are the install instructions. They do refer to a seal:
2008 COWL INSTALLATION

COWL COVER

COWL COVER

1. Position cowl cover (1) to vehicle.
  2. Install clips attaching cowl cover to cowl plenum.
  3. Install the seal, cowl screen to hood inner panel.
  4. Install push pins (3) attaching cowl cover to cowl.
  5. Install windshield wiper arms

#3 ·
Ok thanks for the start in the right direction.

SO my question is i don't know what
3. Install the seal, cowl screen to hood inner panel means

Doesn't it all come ATTACHED as 1 part, or will the seals be separate in the box? Will everything i need be included to have this correct?
Thanks

#4 ·
You have to find out from the person supplying you the parts.

#6 ·
I am not mechanical or good at repairing cars. I just found out the part i am looking at on my car is called a Cowl Cover.

I had to replace a small part with the help of my brother, and i noticed the rubber gasket/seal around the entire Cowl Cover was melted, deteriorated and almost missing. So basically, the rubber seal is not even seated on my windshield at all and there is a gap where the rain water just goes down off the windshield. I could take pictures if needed.

My question is, i found another cowl cover online for $150. If i replace it, is it supposed to have some sort of seal or adhesion to the window shield other than just seated on top of it? It seems water would still just run underneath it.

This is so confusing unless someone is a genius. If anyone can help, i will gladly take photos or whatever needed.

How did it work out for you? I need to replace mine was curious where u found a replacement and if everything came with it you needed. Thanks

#9 ·
One thing to look at while you have the cowl cover off is a little rubber piece on the passenger side. It covers a drain hole to drain excess water from under the cowl.
If it is anything like the UK spec, the loop on the rubber flap isn’t much higher than the opening for the cabin air filter. If the rubber flap gets blocked, the excess water runs straight into the passenger side.
I found this out when mine blocked and when I set off to work, there was around 3 inch of water in the passenger footwell.
The water played havoc with the electrics, and the indicators, lights and horn all began working on their own like my car was possessed.
I had to disconnect my battery and leave it to dry with heaters in the footwell.
Luckily there was no after effects and all the electrical system worked fine.
After that though, I lifted the cowl and removed the offending rubber part.
Two years on, I’ve not had any further issues (touch wood)
I check it isn’t blocked with debris after the summer, and check the air con drain too out of pure paranoia. It is amazing how much sludge gets in there.
Good luck swapping your cowl out.

#10 ·
Thanks to this thread I was able to solve the problem that I had with water on the passenger floor. I was working on the 2011 Avenger today putting the snow tires on and once done I decided to investigate the above post from @JohnnyUK. After some perseverance I finally located said plug and accessed it by removing 1 press plug and gently prying up the cowl so I could access the plug. After 11 years mine was totally plugged with leaves and dirt. I managed to pull the plug right out and took it in and washed it clean and then wiped the insert hole clean and re-installed the plug to be good for another 11 years. :)

My car only has 115,300 kms on it so I intend on keeping it a while.

First pic is the plug all washed up. Second pic is where it is located. Dark inset hole is where it belongs. Third pic shows what and where to access the port for the valve.

Attachments

#14 ·
It is a cover for the drain hole to let water out of the recess beneath the windscreen wipers.
personally I think the whole thing is over engineered so I took it out.
The hole hasn’t blocked up in the 2+ years that I’ve left it out.
I’m not saying its a good idea removing it though.

#16 ·
No problem.
The designers at Dodge have put it there for a reason so ideally it should be there.
Mine has been OK with no plug in, I'm not sure if that's down to good luck. The plug is there to stop debris dropping into the hole and jamming it further down I'm guessing.
I've run rigid wire into drain channel a few times just to make sure it's clear.
This has always been OK though.
The only drain I've had issues with has been the air-conditioning drain.
That one gets loads of road debris in near the bottom, so I give that a gentle rodding with some rigid wire like a welding rod, then flush it with one of those large spray bottles you can get for killing weeds. A little less aggressive than a hose pipe.
The first time I did it was around a year after I bought my car. It was full of what looked like black dirt, and smelly water. I read that if it blocks too bad, it leaks into the car so I've tried keeping on top of it.

#17 ·
No problem.
The designers at Dodge have put it there for a reason so ideally it should be there.
Mine has been OK with no plug in, I'm not sure if that's down to good luck. The plug is there to stop debris dropping into the hole and jamming it further down I'm guessing.
I've run rigid wire into drain channel a few times just to make sure it's clear.
This has always been OK though.
The only drain I've had issues with has been the air-conditioning drain.
That one gets loads of road debris in near the bottom, so I give that a gentle rodding with some rigid wire like a welding rod, then flush it with one of those large spray bottles you can get for killing weeds. A little less aggressive than a hose pipe.
The first time I did it was around a year after I bought my car. It was full of what looked like black dirt, and smelly water. I read that if it blocks too bad, it leaks into the car so I've tried keeping on top of it.
I must investigate all of this. I just bought the car last week. 53000 original, with all the tracking mileage paperwork. But the hold cowl needs replacement. I have heard debri issues so Im going to dig more into it and see if I can find the place you are talking about. The cowl had a bit of warpage. The rubber seal is busted all up. Its only a 1/4 wide thats connected to the vinyl cowl. I was able to get a used cowl with no warpage but the rubber seal is busted. Im trying to get a rubber seal but Im not sure if I can get one that works. I bought one online, so we will see this Wednesday. Or I pay 238 bucks to get a new one. The car was 5500, its pretty clean. But I had to put 700 into it. Tires, battery, wipers. Also it only has one key, another 200.00. So I didn't want to spend another 240 for a new cowl. Ugh, thanks for the info!!!

#18 ·
You're welcome.
Congratulations on getting a low mileage model.
Hopefully once you've got the cowl sorted, you can enjoy some decent mileage before you have to pay for anything else.
You'll find the plug easily enough.
The pictures that Nametetsud took, earlier in the thread are an excellent guide.
Happy motoring 🙂

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.