Dodge Avenger Forum banner

2008 Avenger - latest

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  5rebel9 
#1 ·
Since buying the Avenger back in October I've been busy getting through a few things that aren't quite right.
First job was to replace the battery, unusually found in the passenger side wheel arch area. Euro Car Parts had a good deal on the correct battery so an easy although awkward fix, once I found where it was located that is.
Second job was the clutch replacement covered in another post.
The car has always had a slight coolant leak, now traced to a rusted clip cutting through the bottom radiator hose. The hose replacement is a three section unit which comes at a high price. The local motor factors didn't have the part and via Fiat (as with the clutch), the cost would be £107. I used www.rockauto.com who supplied the same parts for £54 including vat and shipping. Even more impressive was the speed at which my order was fulfilled. Ordered on Monday and delivered on Saturday, considering it came from California in such a short time and at half price I'd recommend anyone to try Rock Auto. Hopefully this may help someone.

#4 ·
Still really pleased with this car, however it developed a whirring noise from the front which I narrowed down to the driver side wheel bearing.
Obtaining the part via Fiat I thought would be expensive and probably take longer than a UK supplier who had the part in stock. You can buy just the bearing itself but as the hub had been on the car for 10 years I thought it'd be prudent to replace the hub and bearing complete.
Watching several youtube videos it soon became clear that these units do not come off easily. I tried my best with penetrating fluid and some decent tools but the one I didn't have was a slide hammer. These can be had quite cheaply but a good and heavy one is much more expensive and something I'd rarely use again so I decided to book the job in with my trusted garage.
Sometimes it's not worth the effort and I was only charged one hour labour, less than the cost of a good slide hammer.
The best bit though is that I ordered the part from Rockauto on Christmas Eve in the afternoon - Fedex driver knocking on my door at 8.30am on Friday! So a pm order on Monday followed by am delivery on Friday. Normally that would be great service from the USA to the UK - but considering it was over Christmas it's just amazing.
Price - £63 from UK supplier, £61 from Rockauto. Both include vat & shipping charges. The garage charge was £48 including vat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.