Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Lets see I know you have to remove the air deflector to get to it. And its a little bit of a pain. I don't own a R/T so other than what the mechanics tell me.
Welcome top the Avengerforumz. while you are looking around check out the polling section and vote for your favorites. And drop us a note in the newbie checkin so we can get to know you. Again glad your here.

·
Registered
477 Posts
The dealer said it takes a special filter.. They did not even have it in stock.... They had to call elsewhere for one....

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I can not confirm this information but from I found out from filter applications chart the threaded stud that holds the oil filter can be of either sizes. A 3/4 inch or 22mm in diameter on the 3.5 liter engine. Purolator makes 2 filters a L14670 for the 3/4 and L24651 for the 22mm. K&N makes an oil filter for the 22mm opening and it is HP-2010. I did not check Fram oil filters since I will not use an oil filter made by Fram.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
If you live in a state that has AutoZones; they have Pennzoil Platinum on sale right now 5 quarts and a Fram extra duty oil filter for $19.99. Pennzoil Platinum is a very good oil that has been turning in lower wear numbers then Mobil 1 on oil analysis reports I review. I am not a fan of Fram oil filters so I am going to see if they are willing to swap it out for a Purolator.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I agree on the fram. I've used KN ones in the past with no issues, and I hear nothing but good things about purolater ones as well. :)

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
I have always used Fram in all my cars. I have had no ill effects. What is the main reasons you wont use Fram? Maybe I should switch. I know my dad uses Motorcraft... I think that is a Ford brand filter, granted he owns two Fords.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I just never have heard anything good about them, seems mostly negative comments whether it be here, a racing forum, motorcycle forum, what have you. Basically the consensus I have heard over the years is that they are cheaply made and can fail.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I have always used Fram in all my cars. I have had no ill effects. What is the main reasons you wont use Fram? Maybe I should switch. I know my dad uses Motorcraft... I think that is a Ford brand filter, granted he owns two Fords.
The issue with Fram oil filters is that they use cardboard as the endcaps of the filter element. This was really not an issue back when everybody was doing 3000 mile oci. There have been reports of the cardboard not holding up with todays extended oci. Fram uses metal endcaps only on their best ones. The other filter manufactures use metal endcaps on all their filters. The supertech oil filter at Wal-Mart is a better oil filter then Fram and cost less. My preference is Wix oil filters, very good filter at a good price.

·
Registered
565 Posts
The issue with Fram oil filters is that they use cardboard as the endcaps of the filter element. This was really not an issue back when everybody was doing 3000 mile oci. There have been reports of the cardboard not holding up with todays extended oci. Fram uses metal endcaps only on their best ones. The other filter manufactures use metal endcaps on all their filters. The supertech oil filter at Wal-Mart is a better oil filter then Fram and cost less. My preference is Wix oil filters, very good filter at a good price.

that shows the downside of the internet, they have models that use metal now, have for many months. I've used them with no problems in my dakota. I've never known anyone personally to have a fram oil filter failure. Honestly, I've never heard of that except on the internet. People I talk to at shops and auto parts stores have never heard of it either.

check out their website and look at the specs, some have synthetic media and some have metal screens.

http://www.fram.com/products/oilFilters.php

- Dan M

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
that shows the downside of the internet, they have models that use metal now, have for many months. I've used them with no problems in my dakota. I've never known anyone personally to have a fram oil filter failure. Honestly, I've never heard of that except on the internet. People I talk to at shops and auto parts stores have never heard of it either.

check out their website and look at the specs, some have synthetic media and some have metal screens.

http://www.fram.com/products/oilFilters.php

- Dan M
Many people do not have a problem with Fram oil filters. You have to cut the filter open to see the separation of the filter element from the cardboard endcaps. I did not say this is a common occurrence, it may or may not happen. Yes Fram makes oil filters with metal endcaps also; I did not say all their oil filters had cardboard endcaps. If you like Fram oil filters that's fine. I will spend my money on a different brand.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts