2008 R/T - Won't start after stalling.

Discussion in 'Dodge Avenger Mechanical Problems and Questions' started by Chromdillion, Feb 10, 2018.

1. 5rebel9

5rebel9 Active Member Site Supporter Level 1 Military

Media:
    Albums:
    I agree about renewing the motor mounts, you're in there NOW and a pain to go back at them once the motor is in!
    And for me the roles are reversed now, I do the work and the man that initially trained me is now the helper, supervisor(my dad is now 88) and still pretty sharp on most things automotive!

Chromdillion likes this.
  2. Chromdillion

Chromdillion New Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Awesome, I'll definitely make sure they get swapped out =) When it comes to reconnecting the transmission to the block, is there anything that must be lined up with the flywheel? Or are we looking at attaching and bolting back together? Thanks again folks!

3. Chromdillion

Chromdillion New Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Piggy backing off this question, we lost a small amount of transmission fluid separating the transmission. Ive read this one is only serviceable at a dealer. Is there ANY way to at least put some fluid in the vehicle? Or is it 110% dealer only? Thanks folks!

4. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    Bare with me, But does the tranny have a dipstick just like the engine? If so you fill thru that. There is a thread here of a DIY dipstick mod for those with the "sealed" trannys.

Chromdillion likes this.
  5. Chromdillion

Chromdillion New Member

Media:
    Albums:
    It does no, however it does have the dipstick tube that would normally contain the dipstick. I have found the dipstick from autozone and oreilly. I assumed a fill through there may be possible.

6. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    I think it was member ZeeVert that posted of the dip stick mod(with pics). look up his profile page and search his threads for it, it is the easiest way I can offer for you to find it. It should help you a lot about this new query. Hang in there!

Chromdillion likes this.
  7. Chromdillion

Chromdillion New Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Rebel, thank you as always buddy!! I really appreciate it =) I'll search it up here on my lunch.

5rebel9 likes this.
  8. Chromdillion

Chromdillion New Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Awesome. Took a while to track one down. But, I found it! $22.90 shipped. 53032518AB part number I snagged from ZeeVert's thread! Thanks again! I am very much relieved now! One more week or 2 and she should be back in business! Sadly we only have Sundays/Mondays to work on it. Slow process, but slow and steady wins the race =)

9. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    I may not always have direct answers, and the LORD knows that my PC skills are all but non existent to provide links and such. But ALWAYS wanting to try and help as best as possible!
    I know you are anxious to get yours rolling again, but you are in a BIG job. Patience and good use of your time WILL prevail!Hang in there!:);)

Chromdillion likes this.
  10. Chromdillion

Chromdillion New Member

Media:
    Albums:
    So, another minor, but maybe a MAJOR update =) A little side story first. Wife, kids and I went out of town on Saturday after I got out of work. We found a gorgeous husky puppy and we went on a journey to get him. 8 hours later and near 10pm I phoned my pops and said Id like to skip Sunday and just knock out what we can Monday. He agreed.

Well, my pops sends me a message today with this picture. We were right. Rear exhaust manifold snagged up on the passenger axle. He had it out in 30 minutes! Talk about a great pops, and an absolute workaholic! Heres the connecting portion of the 62TE if anyone has ever been curious =)

Timing belt replacement on replacement motor tomorrow. Prep the intake manifold and wiring harness, and next weekend, in she goes =)

Attached Files:

5rebel9 and Intrepid like this.
  11. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    Yup, DADs are like that! Reminds me of the "Father&Son project of rebuilding the Neon(posted of in other vehicle discussion page) For my son's first car!..LOL:);)
    You have a young family yourself and do need to spend time with them too! BUT one day you will be doing just as YOUR dad!;)

Chromdillion likes this.
  12. Chromdillion

Chromdillion New Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Haha! You couldn't be more right Rebel! It's been absolutely wonderful spending time with my pops and I love it when my boys, albeit very young, watch me do odds and ends with our cars. They get the biggest kick out of seeing me just change the oil =) I'll never do another project like this with thr exception of a classic muscle car. But, for my kids, I don't think I could ever say no =) More updates to come tomorrow. We MAY take off the timing housing on my current block to see what exactly happened. Just depends on our time.

5rebel9 likes this.
  13. Chromdillion

Chromdillion New Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Good day everyone! Back with another update! We didn't do much work today, but got a future problem addressed before it was far too difficult. We replaced the timing belt, water pump, tensioner and tensioner pulley on the replacement motor. Also got to take a peak inside my old block, and boy oh boy was that a mess. Next weekend we're going to replace the spark plugs while its still easy, then start slapping her in the car! Until then, enjoy some pics inside each block, as well as one of my motor mounts =)

Order of pics:
    1) Original block and broken timing belt.
    2) Replacement block with original timing belt
    3) Replacement block with new timing kit
    4) Front engine mount before
    5) Front engine mount after

Attached Files:

14. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    My, isn't Pic#1 a dismal scene to look at! Can just imagine what the inside of the combustion chambers look like...:eek:

Chromdillion likes this.
  15. Intrepid

Intrepid Active Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    You're right, it was a mess.....the belt and the mount.....wow.

Chromdillion likes this.
  16. Chromdillion

Chromdillion New Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Mind you, I owned this vehicle for 5000 miles before all of this mess happened. Unfortunately, the previous owners just didn't care I guess! The driver side transmission/engine mount is just as shredded. As much as this has been a real chore, Im glad we're doing this, as we're finding a few very important things desperately needing to be replaced.

The timing belt was fun even with the block sitting on a table outside of the engine bay. We played a little hell getting the right tension on the belt. I can definitely say, I won't touch it while it's in the car. Absolutely worth the ~$800 to have Dodge replace the timing kit themselves. The cam locks helped tremendously though! Without those, we would've been in trouble :D

5rebel9 likes this.
  17. Chromdillion

Chromdillion New Member

Media:
    Albums:
    After reading a couple of other posts from various issues, does anyone know if there is anything we will need to do with the computer? IE: will it need to be reprogrammed? Or should I be ok with firing her up once everything is back together? Thanks again folks!

18. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    It will be in it's base programming and will just need a couple of drive cycles to "settle in" to your driving style and engine sensor readings...No big deal;):)

Chromdillion likes this.
  19. Chromdillion

Chromdillion New Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Your assistance is superbly appreciated, Rebel! Sounds great. Likely 2 to 3 days left. Home stretch, half way there!

5rebel9 likes this.
  20. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    Just don't "max it out" right away..easy throttle for the first few miles and make sure all is hooked up well for hoses/fluids and wiring!

Chromdillion likes this.