Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Whatsup Avengerforumz,

Yesterday morning I moved my vehicle to let someone else out of the driveway. Started no problem, no unusual noises, everything seemed fine. I left the car running as I was planning to leave for work in 10 mins and it was kind of chilly out before the sun came up. When I returned to the vehicle to leave for work I found it off, radio still playing music and the vents still blowing air. I tried to restart it and it attempted to turn over for ~20sec (normally only cranks 3 times before starting) and then the electricity faded out completely. I try again and it does less this time. The third time it barely turned over once before all dash lights go out momentarily and then come back on. At this point I'm thinking dead battery.. Weird because I haven't noticed any other issues with anything electric aside from intermittent passenger window control.

I tried to jump start and it gave more of an attempt to start but still no luck. Had my girlfriend try and start it while I stuck my head under the hood and now I smell burning plastic/wires. Have her try again and a puff of smoke comes center of the engine compartment, again burning wires smell. I take out the whole intake, fuel injectors, intake manifold, I remove the starter, have it tested, its shot. Bought a re-man starter, put everything back together and try again, barely turns over once. Try to jump it again and once again it gives more of an attempt (you can tell the new starter is at least cranking) but still it wont start. I charged my battery overnight (it took the charge no prob) and this morning I cranked it a ton and it wont start. I heard a sputter of the engine wanting to start a couple times but it just wouldn't take.

I'm kind of at a loss at this point. I don't think its my battery because it took the charge.. Maybe there is a short in the system somewhere? I'm positive I hooked the ground cable back up..

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Connor

EDIT: Engine light has been on forever.. checked days before this happened and its throwing (2) codes - P2004 & P0700.

EDIT2: Remembering now while reading my post back to myself.. it was having some trouble starting in the last week leading up to this. (would crank 5-7 times before starting instead of the usual 3-4)

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
What size motor and what maint history have you done with it AND how many miles on it???
EDIT...I should read the thread title...OK, a 2.4 You need to fill in your profile info better so responders will know better of what you have on permanent record. The rest still stands for clarification purposes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply.

220,000 miles on the original engine, I have no maintenance history, aside from a couple oil changes (did an oil change the day before this happened). only had the vehicle for ~6 months.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
P2004 is for Intake Manifold Runner Control problem..08-09 were noted for this, there's plenty of info posted throughout the site here and on Youtube about it. The P0700 is a trans fault code. That many miles on the car...how about pulling the Spark Plugs and seeing how worn they are, may want to put a fresh set in. SO many possibilites on what could be the fault, but recheck the wires to the starter. Cooking out the starter itself normally will also damage the wires to it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Double checked the starter cables, everything looks solid.. no sign of melted wire casings, bubbles in connectors, or anything out of shape.. Checking spark plugs now, be back in a few with an update.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well, the spark plugs are definitely worn..
While definitely a problem I'm still not convinced that's the main issue here.

I tried turning it over with a spark plug out to see if it would free up some pressure, maybe help something turn easier. No difference at all.
I took a little video of it trying to turn over... its a sad display:

Video
^audio on

I can see the piston moving up and down (super slowly of course) when looking in the empty spark plug socket. so i know the engine is cranking.. just super slowly.

I tested all the spark plugs with the DMM outside the vehicle, the lowest was 5,800 ohm and the highest was 7000 ohm. Then I made sure I was getting spark physically by testing cylinder 1 spark plug with the coil attached, connecting it to some metal under the hood. We're good there.

I tested my fuel injectors with the DMM on the ohm setting as well.. they're all very close in readout. nothing standing out to me as faulty.

I cant find any bad fuses...

I figure if I had a bad battery it would still start with a jump right? If it was a bad alternator, same story, should still start with a jump, right??

I don't have a compression tester that will reach the spark plug socket right now so I cant check that yet...

Could it be my timing belt? I feel like its gotta be electrical. I'm so lost..

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Your video speaks volumes! There is NO WAY anything will start with the starter motor cranking the engine that slow. Get to the battery and take it out and clean the terminals and posts, then take it to anywhere that sells batteries and have a proper load test done...They all do it for FREE. IF battery tests with good CCA availability, then you need to really check out the power and ground cables from battery to starter and body/drivetrain end points.
All else is secondary to this as far as engine being able to run.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ok, battery looked & tested good... the terminals had a little corrosion/ acid buildup but it almost looks like it’s from a previous battery how clean the posts are.. I’m leaving O’Reillys now, I’m gonna triple check these wires. Suggestions if the wires STILL look all good?...

Alternator? I know this is a computer car. Maybe there is something not allowing power because a bad alternator? Smh

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Not an alternator...YET. Need to find why the starter is turning so slow. Usual is high resistance(corrosion) inside the cables. Follow from starter back to battery. Kind of tough to do but a Ohm/volt meter set to ohms and hooked to each end of a cable will tell you if there is low(what you want) or high resistance(not good,need new cable).Also check and clean the positive jumper post under the hood making sure of clean and tight connection there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was indeed the alternator, she was seized up solid. In one direction only.. the direction the belt turned . When brainstorming I kept thinking if it was the alternator It should start and then I would experience power loss as the battery rapidly drained. I hadn’t considered that it could be seized enough to cause that much drag on the engine. I would have expected it to shred the belt. I was sure it was power loss somewhere. Then again maybe there was a short in the alternator as well.

So surely my starter was on the frits and I fried it on day one, turning it over, in the process of trying to diagnose.

Hearing it run smoother now, I’m remembering there was a little rattle coming from the engine a ways back that I told myself was probably a pulley going bad. It had stopped making so much noise so I put it on the back burner but it sounds a lot cleaner with the new alternator in.

I think she deserves a tuneup now!

I appreciate your logical critical thinking approach. Thanks rebel.

So glad forums like this exist. Sometimes you just need another brain to brainstorm with you.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Like you say, weird that it didn't shred the belt. Glad to hear you got it sorted:cool:

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Hopefully you changed out the belt as well.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Glad you found and were able to fix the problem. Gracious me. that like the others said of the belt not shredding or you posting of noises before to help out diagnostic step offerings to you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts