Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my front and back passenger-side blinkers had been fast-blinking for a while accompanied by the usual fast-ticking sound and pointer in the dash. But yesterday afternoon, I noticed that my front passenger-side blinker was super dim. I went in for an inspection today with the intent to have the front passenger-side blinker and rear passenger-side blinker bulbs replaced. So I got the bulbs replaced for $11 each, and I passed inspection (though I'm thinking now I probably shouldn't have), but driving out I noticed several issues:

1. The fast blinking is still there despite the two bulbs having been replaced.
2. The front passenger-side blinker doesn't come on at all if I turn on the headlamps. It seems like the minute I do that the blinker doesn't get enough power to come on.
3. The front side lamp on the passenger-side (the little orange light right on the very side) doesn't come on ever and could just be blown out?

My longshot hope is that the blinker is doing this because that front passenger side orange lamp is out, but things are rarely that simple so I'm concerned it might be a bigger problem. I'm willing to go back and have the front passenger side orange lamp replaced, but man, I'm trying to avoid a wild goose chase. The mechanic mentioned the possibility of there being an issue with the harness, and we noticed that when he was moving the wiring around slightly when replacing the back passenger-side blinker like that it alternated between regular blinking and fast blinking.

In short, not being able to put my right blinker on at night when I have my headlamps on is not a good situation.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
First step is to check and replace each bulb if necessary. Also check each socket for corrosion..... could be a bad ground. If all checks out, disconnect your battery and pull out your TIPM. Undo all connections coming in to the bottom of the TIPM for bad connection and corrosion. It's a known problem with our cars.

Reactions: Max9000

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First step is to check and replace each bulb if necessary. Also check each socket for corrosion..... could be a bad ground. If all checks out, disconnect your battery and pull out your TIPM. Undo all connections coming in to the bottom of the TIPM for bad connection and corrosion. It's a known problem with our cars.
Thanks. The place I go to doesn't charge for labor time and they have a cool sports lounge so I like going there. I'm going to head back and see if that little side light being replaced can make a difference. That's the only light not coming on at all ever under any command, and I didn't notice it until after, guess we all missed it, lol. I hope it's NOT a TIPM issue though, because from what I've read the price is not too sweet :)

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Sounds like a great place, best of luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So my front and back passenger-side blinkers had been fast-blinking for a while accompanied by the usual fast-ticking sound and pointer in the dash. But yesterday afternoon, I noticed that my front passenger-side blinker was super dim. I went in for an inspection today with the intent to have the front passenger-side blinker and rear passenger-side blinker bulbs replaced. So I got the bulbs replaced for $11 each, and I passed inspection (though I'm thinking now I probably shouldn't have), but driving out I noticed several issues:

1. The fast blinking is still there despite the two bulbs having been replaced.
2. The front passenger-side blinker doesn't come on at all if I turn on the headlamps. It seems like the minute I do that the blinker doesn't get enough power to come on.
3. The front side lamp on the passenger-side (the little orange light right on the very side) doesn't come on ever and could just be blown out?

My longshot hope is that the blinker is doing this because that front passenger side orange lamp is out, but things are rarely that simple so I'm concerned it might be a bigger problem. I'm willing to go back and have the front passenger side orange lamp replaced, but man, I'm trying to avoid a wild goose chase. The mechanic mentioned the possibility of there being an issue with the harness, and we noticed that when he was moving the wiring around slightly when replacing the back passenger-side blinker like that it alternated between regular blinking and fast blinking.

In short, not being able to put my right blinker on at night when I have my headlamps on is not a good situation.

Any ideas?
I have the exact same issue currently. I am almost 100% positive that it is a grounding issue. If I put one stripped end of a 18 gauge wire into the socket between the bulb and the metal grounding prong inside the socket and then ground the other end of the stripped wire it corrects the issue for both of the bulbs lighting and blinking at a normal pace. I have only did this as a test to see if this grounding method would work. CAN ANYBODY TELL ME IF I CAN CUT THE GROUND WIRE GOING TO THE SOCKET(S) AND SPLICE IN A WIRE THEN GROUND THAT WIRE TO A RANDOM AREA WITH A GOOD GROUND CLOSE TO THE FRONT RIGHT LIGHT AREA? Would this be a permanent fix or do I have to try to track down the actual place where the ground is bad??? Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the exact same issue currently. I am almost 100% positive that it is a grounding issue. If I put one stripped end of a 18 gauge wire into the socket between the bulb and the metal grounding prong inside the socket and then ground the other end of the stripped wire it corrects the issue for both of the bulbs lighting and blinking at a normal pace. I have only did this as a test to see if this grounding method would work. CAN ANYBODY TELL ME IF I CAN CUT THE GROUND WIRE GOING TO THE SOCKET(S) AND SPLICE IN A WIRE THEN GROUND THAT WIRE TO A RANDOM AREA WITH A GOOD GROUND CLOSE TO THE FRONT RIGHT LIGHT AREA? Would this be a permanent fix or do I have to try to track down the actual place where the ground is bad??? Thanks in advance for any advice.
When I'm able to get back to the shop I'll try to remember to bring this up to them and relay what they tell me. I usually work with them in the back (they encourage it, it's an awesome place) so they can show me what they've done to solve a problem if it's something I'm not sure about.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Got the repair done. Overall, it was a wire harness problem, bad ground. Also, the small orange side light on the headlight wasn't working because it was just blown out so that was replaced and is working fine. But...

Before going in, my bumper did have a small crack on its top to the inside right of the headlight and you wouldn't really notice it unless you were looking, but apparently while they were trying to get to the light, there was some movement of the bumper to get to it and somehow the bumper cracked even more and pieces cracked off where the original crack was visible :-( now it's definitely noticeable. They put some filler in the crack hole and tried to re-attach some pieces that fell to the floor, but it doesn't look good. I'll have to see what it looks like once I paint some PR3 over it (that's the color of my Avenger), but I don't think it's going to look too great no matter what. Probably will just have to get a new bumper. SIGH.

They did discount me $50, but SIGH. I knew the bumper crack might be a problem eventually, I just wasn't expecting it with this.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Great to hear that the electrical issue has been resolved. Bummer about the bumper but unfortunately stuff happens. The positive thing is you'll have a new bumper cover:cool: You might luck out and find a used one that is the same color from a local salvage yard.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Great to hear that the electrical issue has been resolved. Bummer about the bumper but unfortunately stuff happens. The positive thing is you'll have a new bumper cover:cool: You might luck out and find a used one that is the same color from a local salvage yard.
Might be tough in my area to find one as for some reason the PR3 color is really rare around here. I've been thinking about buying a brand new one from one of those places that sell bumpers already primed and painted. The prices I've seen are around $230 so that's not too bad. My only concern is that they send them folded and even mention the possibility of some imperfections occurring because of it.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
That sounds like a great price.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts