2009 Avenger Winding/slow crank

Discussion in 'Dodge Avenger Electrical Problems and Questions' started by Javen, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Javen

Javen New Member

Hello! first time poster here. I dont have an obd2 reader so i cant confirm whats wrong with my vehicle (2009 Dodge Avenger 2.7L)

Little background

Alternator gave out while driving, making loud clanking noises and eventually ran the battery dead. Got the car towed to my place.

About a week later, i replace the alternator. I try to start the car, but it makes a winding sound like "weer weeer". I charge my battery for about 6 hours and same thing happens. "weeer weeer". Battery says its 100% charged. Perhaps its a dead cell i thought. I turned on the lights and tried to start the car, and the lights went dim. I read online that means the battery must have a dead cell. Replaced battery. No good, car lights still dim and goes "weeer wweer". I cleaned my connections prior to trying all of this. I also followed the negative cable around and used a wire brush to remove some dust and a little rust on a few connection points/bolts.

Side notes

The day my alternator died, something sparked and a electrical burn smell flooded my car for 10 minutes. Smell came from alternator side of car. Makes me wonder if the wire that connects to the alternator may have burned up inside? or was that the cause of why the alternator gave out later that day?

When the old battery was low, i tried jumping. Same winding sound occured. The battery was only 1 year old, too bad the warranty is only 6 months.

I need to change the oil, could something to do with the oil or oil pressure be causing this?

I saw online that the cranking amps for dodge avenger is 525 or so, my current battery has 550.

I hope to god the starter also didnt kick the bucket.

2. 5rebel9

5rebel9 Active Member Site Supporter Level 1 Military

Media:
    Albums:
    I would start by checking the B+heavy red wire from the alternator, particularly at the connection to it. they tend to heat corrode and not make good contact. Sounds can be misleading, can you confirm that the starter is actually spinning the engine? Also check the condition of the wires at the "jump posts" in the engine bay.
    As with the cart before the Horse... Welcome to the Forumz, Stop by the Newbie check in page and introduce yourself and ride to the whole forumz family!

3. Javen

Javen New Member

I checked and scrubbed the wires from the alternator. I tried to start the car and while listening, the belt no longer moves. I also heard a slight buzzing noise coming from center-rear along with what sounds like a grinding/bumping noise. There was also a noticable but faint burning smell.

I do think the starter must have also burn out or a wire connecting to it is corroded. It was trying to start the engine and i assume thats why the belt would crank very slowly.

the jump posts are clean and shiny, but i went ahead and scrubbed off the dust.

Is there a guide online on how to get to/remove the starter on a 2009 dodge avenger 2.7l?

4. 5rebel9

5rebel9 Active Member Site Supporter Level 1 Military

Media:
    Albums:
    Check out YOU TUBE for a video of starter replacement. And good luck to you and your ride. Keep in touch!