2010 Avenger - White paint and Black Decal? | Dodge Avenger Forum

2010 Avenger - White paint and Black Decal?

Discussion in 'Detailing and General Maintenance Forum' started by CTAvenger, May 31, 2017.

1. CTAvenger

CTAvenger New Member

Hello all,

I'm wondering if anyone has any insight on how to repair chips in the black decal like covering that is on the window frame of the front doors? I looked close at it and realized it doesn't seem like it's a layer of paint but more like a vinyl sticker of sort. I'm sure this is a standard feature for this car as I've seen it on many.
    Maybe I am mistaken on it being paint but I don't think so.
    I want to renew it's finish. Is there a way to peel the whole thing off and is there a replacement available somewhere. I don't even know what to call it to look for it.
    Thanks

2. FinnAvenger

FinnAvenger Member

Media:
    Yup. I have few stone chips on it too. It seems to be quite thick layer of some sort of vinyl indeed.
    If the stone chips are deep i would just fill them up with something and then put new vinyl layer over the old ones. Not sure how hard it is to remove the old vinyl.
    Just get yourself some car vinyl wrap and put new layer on it.

CTAvenger and Intrepid like this.
  3. CTAvenger

CTAvenger New Member

Thanks for the reply. I don't know where to start with purchasing the proper vinyl. Any ideas?
    I'd have to remove it all to make it look right.

4. FinnAvenger

FinnAvenger Member

Media:
    I guess from ebay you could find some decent one or from some auto parts store. Don't know which store there sells what.
    The vinyl i'm talking about is so thin that you wouldn't notice any difference even you'd put it over the old one.

5. itkonen

itkonen New Member

Media:
    Albums:
    This is quite easy to fix. I have never done that before but this is how I did:

1. Heat old vinyl a little with a hair dryer and peel it of.
    2. Remove old clue with xylene and some plastic tool ( old credit card works fine ) and rubbing with cloth
    3. Make markings to car with mask tape where the upper end should be.
    4. Cut proper pieces of vinyl ( a little extra all around ). Test fit that it cover the area and goes around edges etc.
    5. Clean last time with silicon remover
    6. Put vinyls upper side against mask tape and start to press it to flat door frame surface.
    7. Cut sides that go under seals so that they cover paint and fit under seal.
    7. Warm a little with heat gun on sides to make them bend nicely around door frame and under seals etc.
    8. Cut excessive tape on the inside the frame
    9. At last a little more heat and pressure to make the glue stick better.

I did this to my gf´s Caliber and it took about 5 hours to complete both sides and all vinyls. Caliber has three and avenger only two and that 3rd was the hardest to do so I believe that to Avenger this might take 3-4 hours. All needed is a heat gun, old credit card, sharp knife, rags and cleaning solvent. And of course vinyl. I found out 3M vinyl that has quite same looking structure than original, in local shop it cost about 10 bucks.

Here is a before-after of this.

vinyylitpilarissa.jpeg

6. CTAvenger

CTAvenger New Member

Thank you very much for your thorough response. It's just what I needed. Your example looked very good.
    Thanks again

7. itkonen

itkonen New Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Glad to hear that I could help :)

CTAvenger likes this.
  8. CTAvenger

CTAvenger New Member

Yes, and I meant to mention I had quit watching this thread for several days after I only received one response in the beginning.
    I will be ordering the vinyl tomorrow and have everything else. I'll have to take before and after pictures like you did and post results.