Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having random issues with my car not starting. 9/10 times the car starts fine no problems. However every now and then and majority of the time it happens more in the winter. You try and start the car and the engine just keeps cranking and cranking and nothing happens. Then you turn the key off and try again and it cranks just slightly longer than normal but does start, RPM's may be in the 200's for a second or 2 and it rough idles then it runs fine and RPM. A day or few days may go by where this issue does not reoccur, however then once again it will happen.

I have had this issue for the last 3 years now, however this years it seems to be progressively getting worse. I am not sure if it could be some sort of issue with the battery, only reason i say this is because it is the original battery and is going on 6 years now. Not sure how that explains the car starting fine 9/10 times though. I did take it to the dealer a few years ago several times while it was still under warranty and they could never find a problem with it.

Let me know any thoughts you have. I just don't feel like starting to replace parts for the hell of it.

Thanks,
Patrick

·
Registered
366 Posts
Mine has only done this 2 or 3 times.

Crank for 5 to 10 seconds and no start.

The first time my 16 year old son was taking the car and it happened to him. Luckily he was still at the house, he came in all upset. I went out and and reached in the window and hit the key and it started right up. (he was not impressed)

Last time was a month or so ago, it did it to me. But as the engine was cranking I pumped the gas peddle and it fired up. The rpms went crazy for a few seconds but the straightened out.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
I would definitely start with replacing the battery if it is 6 years old. It could also be a fuel pressure issue. I had a similar issue with a different make of vehicle. There was enough fuel pressure to run the car but it need higher pressure for starting. Replaced the pump and never had the issue again. Check the fuel pressure just to be sure. There could also be issues like plugs needing to be replaced or throttle body needing to cleaned.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spark plugs have been replaced on it, this did not make any difference, this is the 2.4l engine. I could see the fuel pump, however would it not also cause issues while driving when i step on gas it requires more fuel. I have an OBD bluetooth that allows me to monitor live feed of o2 sensors and bank fuel trim and i have not noticed any issues.

·
Premium Member
6,878 Posts
Hello from Western NY

TWO thoughts on your no start issue,

(1) there was a TSB for computer re-flash to address the problem you describe. Something about engine temp / ambient air temp readings and computer program not meshing.

(2) You not only need volts but amps as well to work the electrical systems (starter / fuel pump /computer) . I am not saying it is the battery causing the problem you describe , but at six yrs. the cranking amps of the battery are going down.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Changed battery to duralast gold, also had to change positive battery terminal. Apparently after 6 years that thing is corroded as can be. Also changed spark plugs to auto lite iridium. Well problem returned again today, took really long cranking to start up again. Approximately 5 to 6 seconds which doesn't sound like a lot but count when you start your car you won't even make it past 1 in normal circumstances. So what other thought on what could need replaced?

·
Premium Member
6,878 Posts
WELLLLL !!!!

Sad that did not take care of that problem , but a good catch on battery and cable.

My only other thought would be about the TSB I mentioned previously, although I can not recall the number. I saw it on a post on this site.

LAST THING possible cold start / idle air control problem or even sticky throttle body . I see on a number of posts of these going bad .

Good Luck and let us know how you make out !

·
Premium Member
6,878 Posts
ANY progress yet ?

had a few thoughts , this first one will sound strange but it happened to ME.

Which motor do you have ? Years ago I had a dodge 2.2 turbo and put in bosch platinum plugs ,warm and dry started fine anything else and it would flood out from long crank !! found out that OE recommended plugs worked best !!

also you have a 2.4 motor is it the PZEV or the "normal" version, BIG difference in sparkplug gap !

tried to find some of your engine /model specs in your information page , PLEASE update so us fellow avenger owners know what your ride is to be able to offer more specific advice .

In researching other posts, the gears that move the TB plate seem to wear out this could be a possible situation where the butterfly plate may not open enough for air to enter for combustion, as from your first post. A hard one to diagnose,but seems to be common for the 2.4 !

·
Premium Member
6,878 Posts
Have you gotten anywhere with that crank/no start problem ?

Have not heard from you lately . I discovered another possibility, has to do with the "smart key " not reading correctly with the module in the ig. switch . If I am not mistaken disconnecting the battery for 10? minutes will reset the module.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hello.
So has anyone found the fix for this problem? My 2.4 does that too occasionally. In winter it worked fine but now when the weather has warmed it does that. Sometimes it will crank like 6 seconds and then i turn the key again and it starts.

·
Premium Member
6,878 Posts
Hey finn, When you go to start up try turning the key to run and wait 3-4 seconds(whatever METRIC is) ,turn key off and then start. See if that works better. I am thinking either the smart key not reading well or a loss of fuel pressure while car not being used.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yeah the problem isn't that i can't start it. It has always started the second time i turn the key while the engine is still cranking because of the last time key was turned. I just thought if anyone knows what could be the permanent fix for that problem. I guess there isn't any? But that smart key not reading well could be the problem.
Thanks anyway.

·
Premium Member
6,878 Posts
If you can , see about getting fuel pressure test done. Fuel system is supposed to hold a certain pressure while not running for proper start up . I did a quick look and seems there is no listing for a fuel pressure regulator, so must be part of the fuel pump assy.?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yea might have to do that. But since i put k&n box filter in i noticed that when engine was cold it jerked few times on full throttle almost right after i started the car, but jerking on full throttle when engine is cold i think is normal, outside temperature was like 7 degrees celsius /44 fahrenheit after few jerk it went away. And now when the weather has been warmer there has been no jerking while accelerating. But still i'm thinking the same thing if the fuel pump is bad or the fuel injectors are dirty.
Btw is there any real difference in fuel pumps sold on rockauto as the price range seem to be from 79$ to 281$.

·
Premium Member
6,878 Posts
Get a leak down fuel test first, May have a leaky injector. or run some GOOD injector cleaner for a few tanks. I admit I sometimes go the cheapest price(have had no quality issues). but on something like a fuel pump , I would go on a mid price unit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts