Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Have a 2010 Dodge Avenger 2.4L Sxt. It starts when it wants to. There are times when they car starts like there is no issue but then it wont start or even crank when I try to turn the car on... the whole car just goes silent. I've replaced the starter and the battery and it still won't start every time. It currently is in my garage and hasn't started for the last 4 months. I try to start it at the least every other day. when the care won't start the lightening bolt in parenthesis show up. can this be an anti theft issue? and if so is there any way to fix it? I have taken it to 4 different mechanics and none of them could find anything wrong with the car. one mechanic found that they keys are not the original keys (it used to be owned by a car rental agency) it doesn't even have 90,000 miles on it

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
That lighning bolt is indicating a problem with the electronic throttle control. You may have to do a good clean of the throttle body wit Sea Foam Spray. If that doesn't work you may have to replace the throttle body. The car seems to sit a lot. The fuel could also be going bad. Put some Sea Foam liquid in the tank, take the car for a good long blast on the highway(if it starts) and fill it with fresh gas.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can the throttle body cause the car to just shut down? when it turn my key nothing happens no clicking, it doesn't even try to turn over. when the car is running that light is not there the only time that light comes on is when the car won't start

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
The car can shut down because of the throttle control but it usually turns over at least. Sounds like it could be a poor electrical connection somewhere. I know you changed the starter and battery but are all of the terminals tight. There are several grounds under the hood. Check all connections for tightness and any sign of corrossion. Also you might want to disconnect the negative jump post and pull the TIPM. Check the connections coming into the bottom of it for corrosion.
Difficult to say what was done to the car by the previous owner(rental company).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will check them when I get home and let you know Is there a new TIPM i can buy and install without taking it to a Dealership?

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Yes you can replace the TIPM yourself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sounds like a bad ground to me id check the body grounds ive had it happen in my ram looked fine and was tight but I took it loose and cleaned and retightend them and it started right up

1 - 7 of 7 Posts