Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
New here. I have recently started having problems with the wife's 2011 avenger 3.6 when she is going down the road and one time while at idle the engine stalls. It seams that 2-3 times this month it has happened from what she said it's when she is hitting the brakes. She said no codes. Now I called two dodge garages and they say it is not part of the recall that deals with the PCM purging the evap system creating a rich fuel senario. Although I did plug off the evap purge port going to the intake.

Now my question is has anyone else had this issue and where did it lead you?

Also were can I get a TIPM if this ends up being a issue for the fuel pump power?

I called AutoZone and Advance Auto both can't get/ find it.

Need to get this figured out the wife is afraid to drive it because she is losing her power steering and power brakes.....

Thanks in advance
Shawn

·
Premium Member
6,682 Posts
How many miles are on the car? And have you ever had the throttle body cleaned?
there are some basic things to check/do before going to extremes of TIPM/fuel pump issues.
Also what you did by plugging that line SHOULD throw a CEL/code.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has 150k miles. I will have to clean up the throttle body this weekend. It hasn't been done that I know of.
So far no cel with that port plugged at the intake manifold. But that being said the wife said it still stalled out twice sitting in it one day while I was in the store...... so that's not likely the issue so I removed the plug from the intake. And unfortunately she cycled the key and restarted it so I never got to check anything.

·
Premium Member
6,682 Posts
I would also suspect that spark plugs and air filter may need some looking into at that mileage. Also if it was my ride, I would try a good fuel injection treatment in the gas tank. I have had good results with Sea Foam brand.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would also suspect that spark plugs and air filter may need some looking into at that mileage. Also if it was my ride, I would try a good fuel injection treatment in the gas tank. I have had good results with Sea Foam brand.
Spark plugs we're just done about 30k ago may do them once it warms up. Just did the air filter and cleaned the throttle body today. Also cleaned the mass air flow sensor. We will see. The problem is how rarly it does it. It has only done this maybe three times since my last post. Also gonna get some seafoam. I also have had luck with it before.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update. Still having issues. Shut off on the wife tonight and on me once tonight. When it happened to me I was pulling out of the driveway and stopped it stalled and no engine light or anything. Headlights and heater stayed running. I put it in neutral and without cycling the key just went straight to start and it fired right up. Also for what it's worth i load tested the battery with the car running and with it off and it seams ok. I may put one it it this weekend anyway.

·
Premium Member
6,682 Posts
From your driving circumstance, a low speed start out occurrence, what about the wifes situations of stalling? At 150 k miles there can be a few things due to age, Did you do more of the Seafoam cleaner in the fuel yet? Planet Earth is a mighty big place, sometimes certain things happen within a common geographic locale, could you narrow down your area some?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It has happened to her driving down the road slowing down for a turn once wich is bad when you're mid turn and loose power steering and brakes. It kinda seams to me that it happens mostly when getting out of the throttle and onto the brakes. It happened once to me at about 45-55 let out of it and went to go and no go.

I have tried some sea foam. I may try a double dose. I have an opointment with Dr Dodge next week to have the computers updated if needed. Although I don't think it will help, but it is under 100 to have them do it.

Im going to check all the wiring over this weekend. Funny thing is that we didn't have any issue with it till shortly after we had the trans flushed and the recall for the air bag system. Could be completely a coincidence but who knows

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also worth noting that it has stalled at least twice while idling for an extended period of time.......

·
Premium Member
6,682 Posts
Well, I have been doing some searching of your concern. Have a couple of thoughts for you.
(1) you say you had the trans "flushed" not long ago, I have read that some are finding that the TCC is not "unlocking" the converter during decel to a stop. thus stalling the motor.
(2) at your mileage, I still wonder of a dirty or worn throttle body, which is gear driven electrically, and the gears could be worn. not giving accurate throttle control.
(3)Yes I found the recall action of the canister purge programming(M33?), something I would pursue by VIN inquiry with the dealer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Come to think of it I may have a throttle body on the spare engine/trans I got a while back. It only had 60-70k on it. Maybe have to try that this weekend to.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I tried the link throttle body and maf off my other engine and still the same issue. I didn't take it to dodge because they ran the Vin and it shows no recalls on the ECU update. I just wonder if when they flushed the trans if it washed something loose causing the torque converter to lock up..... Posibly as you said the solenoid....... I do know this problem didn't exist before the trans was flushed... Probably 2-3 weeks later.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also I talked to a friend at who works at a transmission shop and he said if they flushed it at the trans cooler lines it may have pushed some crud into the torque converter causing it to stick.

·
Premium Member
6,682 Posts
Sorry to hear of your continuing concern. I have NEVER been a proponent of trans. flushes, drop the pan and replace the filter and then refill is the way I prefer.
You have not made things very clear here about doing any code scans of the computer, if you don't have one available, there is the key dance method with the ignition key that you can do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All I have is an action cheap reader. A friend from work has a modis but not sure what all years he has on it.

With the action if there's no cel or anything else on you can't see anything.

Not sure that there would be any logged inactive codes since no lights ever come on when it stalls.

·
Premium Member
6,682 Posts
With no CEL or codesit is almost impossible to help any farther than to explore the trans. torque converter or because you also said it stalled under a prolonged idle(in park?) then I Would look for a plugged up in tank fuel filter or weak pump. The pump assy.(filter is part of it)comes out from an access plate under the rear seat and is not that hard to do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It has happened to her driving down the road slowing down for a turn once wich is bad when you're mid turn and loose power steering and brakes. It kinda seams to me that it happens mostly when getting out of the throttle and onto the brakes. It happened once to me at about 45-55 let out of it and went to go and no go.

I have tried some sea foam. I may try a double dose. I have an opointment with Dr Dodge next week to have the computers updated if needed. Although I don't think it will help, but it is under 100 to have them do it.

Im going to check all the wiring over this weekend. Funny thing is that we didn't have any issue with it till shortly after we had the trans flushed and the recall for the air bag system. Could be completely a coincidence but who knows
annoying and scary for sure. imine started right after an oil change. not one issue before then as i left i stalled right down the road. they tried to say i was out of gas but knew i wasnt. then today stalled again but this time started right back up and slowly drove on the shoulder to the repair shop . last time it wouldnt start back up as it did this time. the guy said he thought it was my fuel pump i think. guessing i will find out tomorrow when they call me. good luck with yours

1 - 17 of 17 Posts