Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 21 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my buddies evenger heater core went out, the passenger seat side blows cold air... how hard is it to replace?

·
Premium Member
6,682 Posts
Welcome to the Forumz...
Well like most cars today, you are looking at complete dashboard removal and evacuating the A?C and opening up those lines. A pretty big job to DIY or $$ pay a shop.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the Forumz...
Well like most cars today, you are looking at complete dashboard removal and evacuating the A?C and opening up those lines. A pretty big job to DIY or $$ pay a shop.
Yeah shop quoted 1500 lmao

·
Premium Member
6,682 Posts
Sounds a little high on price, most come in around 8 - 950. BUT, WHO and LOCATION play a big part in labor rates, as the core is not very expensive on its own.

·
Premium Member
6,682 Posts
Just STUDY UP FIRST and take your time! I recently replaced the core on our 04 Neon, same thing of dash removal.. I am slightly disabled by back trouble, it took me 3 days to do it(but have been an auto tech all my life). Research you tube and any sources you can find before disassembling anything! GOOD LUCK and keep us informed!

·
Premium Member
6,682 Posts
Now that is what I would call progress! Once apart, it is the putting back together that really matters! Would HATE to have to perform a "redo" if steps were missed...LOL! Hang in there !

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Wow, good job. Have to give you a lot of credit for taking on that challenge:cool:

·
Premium Member
6,682 Posts
WELL DONE! and thanks for taking even more time to do pic's along the way! Although as I said of doing our Neon, the pic's are very similar of the process required to do the job! I hope against to NOT have to do one in our older Coupe model Avenger!

·
Premium Member
6,682 Posts
Now .. sell the thing before something else goes wrong ... which based on the numerous threads on this forum, will likely occur.
One could say that about almost any car made, the ratio of problems reported here verses the amount sold and driven by people NOT involved with this forum would prove otherwise. Sorry you feel that the one you purchased seemed a lemon in your eyes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What a pain! but got it done..blows hot air on both sides!!!
What is the trick to get the metal frame for the dash out of these cars? As that is the point I am at and I cannot seem to get it to completely pop loose, I was thinking I needed to remove the entire steering column too but I like what you have done with just popping the wheel its self off.. Any pointers you can provide would be great as I am stuck at that point. Also.. did you have to remove the evaporator core for the A/C to do this? Everything ive seen says you do but I was hopeful there was some way around it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What is the trick to get the metal frame for the dash out of these cars? As that is the point I am at and I cannot seem to get it to completely pop loose, I was thinking I needed to remove the entire steering column too but I like what you have done with just popping the wheel its self off.. Any pointers you can provide would be great as I am stuck at that point. Also.. did you have to remove the evaporator core for the A/C to do this? Everything ive seen says you do but I was hopeful there was some way around it.
Yes you have to drain the ac

·
Registered
6 Posts
What's the part number for that heater core? I'm looking into doing this project myself because I have the same issue... But even if I do take it to a dealership, I'll still save a little money buying the core myself.

1 - 21 of 28 Posts