Dodge Avenger Forum banner

21 - 27 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,680 Posts
What's the part number for that heater core? I'm looking into doing this project myself because I have the same issue... But even if I do take it to a dealership, I'll still save a little money buying the core myself.
Take a look at rockauto.com, their price ranges from $50. to $130. for the core, depending on maker.
As I posted here before the LABOR is the killer, the part is relatively cheap!

·
Registered
2 Posts
You dont remove entire dash. You remove under the steering wheel. Then find the heater core piping that runs thru firewall. Cut it so you can remove old heater core. Have some 5/8 replacement hose to connect under the hood. Run thru firewall to location of heater core. Cut down piping on new core and put in place. Take the heater hose you ran thru firewall and connect to heater core. Check for leaks and then re assemble. Took me an hour to remove old core and an hour to install new core. Is this the way a dealership mechanic would fix? Nope it's not. But it works for me. This is a work car and no way paying 1000 bucks when I can fix myself. There are a lot of good YouTube videos to get you thru this process. It's not that hard to do

·
Premium Member
6,680 Posts
No you dont. I fixed mine in 2 hours
As you stated in your post...A dealer or even Independant shop can NOT do this for potential Liability of heater hose failure inside the passenger compartment. For PRIVATE use by owner, well they can take their chances on the rubber hoses holding thru their ownership of said vehicle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
well after struggling all last winter and with little to no heat i finnaly broke down and bought a heater core ,,,,yes i cut the tubes and put heater hoses on it with clamps ...althought i found out i didnt have to ,,,,all u need is a crimping tool and take the pipes off the old core ,,,,change rubber o rings and put tubes back on and crimp it ....temp in all vents after its gets going is like 120 degrees or higher ,,,,cut open old core just to see and it was totalled clogged on one side with some type of what looked like paper product ...interesting ,,,i used zerex antifrees which appears thinner in consistancey than the older style prestone and came recommended ....we shall see long term but appears good for now ,,,2 hrs labor ,,,easy access for under the dash ,,,,

21 - 27 of 28 Posts