2012 Grill removal

Discussion in 'Custom Exterior Modifications - Body Mods' started by racerx20, Sep 2, 2012.

1. ray0414

ray0414 Member

thats a great price considering the entire grill is 350 if bought as an entire unit. the shop that removed my stock grill tried as hard as they could to not break the tabs on the original grill but to no avail. its still usable though.

2. Shane klecka

Shane klecka New Member

Where did you get the black insert?

3. Whiteney Pratt

Whiteney Pratt New Member

Ok guys I hit a deer last night and it did absolutely no damage to my front bumper. But it did cave in my front grille and knocked it away from the clips can I replace the grille without taking the bumper off too or is that possible?

4. Intrepid

Intrepid Active Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    You would have to take the bumper off to do it properly.

5. Scott Forbes

Scott Forbes New Member

This is an old post, but I found it while I was searching how to remove the grille on my '13 and thought I'd share what I did to remove the grille and separate the grille from the insert for painting. Remove the plastic fasteners from the top pf the grille. There are tabs on the bumper cover and clips on the grille (as illustrated in the photos above). Pull the top of the grille away from the radiator and place a flat blade screwdriver in the vertical slot in one of the corner clips at the bottom of the grille (you can't see the clips at this point - feel your way around). While prying the clip open with the screwdriver, push the bottom of the grille toward the radiator until the tab on the bumper cover pops free. Work your way across the grille releasing all of the tabs. Finally, push the bottom of the grille toward the radiator to free the lip that fits under the bumper cover and lift the grille free.

To release the grille insert from the grille, use a flat blade screwdriver to pry the large plastic clips open and place a flat object (credit card, vinyl squeegee, flat blade screwdriver) in each clip to keep it from reengaging as you work your way across the insert. Once you get it partially open, you can place a larger object between the grille and the insert to keep them separated as you work them apart. On mine, I had to remove one of each pair of the small alignment clips located near the center of the insert to get it to release. After painting, the whole thing snapped back together again very easily.

6. Scott Forbes

Scott Forbes New Member

This is an old post, but I found it while I was searching how to remove the grille on my '13 and thought I'd share what I did to remove the grille and separate the grille from the insert for painting. Remove the plastic fasteners from the top pf the grille. There are tabs on the bumper cover and clips on the grille (as illustrated in the photos above). Pull the top of the grille away from the radiator and place a flat blade screwdriver in the vertical slot in one of the corner clips at the bottom of the grille (you can't see the clips at this point - feel your way around). While prying the clip open with the screwdriver, push the bottom of the grille toward the radiator until the tab on the bumper cover pops free. Work your way across the grille releasing all of the tabs. Finally, push the bottom of the grille toward the radiator to free the lip that fits under the bumper cover and lift the grille free.

To release the grille insert from the grille, use a flat blade screwdriver to pry the large plastic clips open and place a flat object (credit card, vinyl squeegee, flat blade screwdriver) in each clip to keep it from reengaging as you work your way across the insert. Once you get it partially open, you can place a larger object between the grille and the insert to keep them separated as you work them apart. On mine, I had to remove one of each pair of the small alignment clips located near the center of the insert to get it to release. After painting, the whole thing snapped back together again very easily.

7. 5rebel9

5rebel9 Active Member Site Supporter Level 1 Military

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for sharing the "how to", Glad it worked out for you!

8. Steve ed

Steve ed New Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I just took my grille off my 2013 sxt to be painted. I removed bumper cover and grille in one piece then removed grille from cover. It doesn't take long to remove bumper cover . It will save alot of frustrating and maybe a few plastic tabs lol .

Intrepid likes this.