Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2012 Avenger SE is going crazy. I noticed a slight rpm surge while driving a few weeks ago and then it sat in my driveway (in the cold) until yesterday.
I started it up and it was idling rough, it would sputter like it was going to stall and then rev up without me touching the gas.
The dash had lights on, like the Brake light was blinking and the ABS light was on.
I finally turned it off and then it would not start again....
I jumped it today, it started but everything that happened yesterday happened again, it stayed running enough to park it in the street but it felt like the gas pedal wasn't doing anything, I just coasted out of the driveway and parked it.
Battery seems completely dead now. It's only a year old and I replaced the alternator and belt a few months ago.

Any ideas where to start? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Charge the battery and then have it load tested. A battery that is going south will give all the indications you are seeing. Also have the codes read or at the very least search the "Key Dance" on the forum here and write down and post the results. I had a 9 month old battery die on me before. It happens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I replaced the battery (PEP boys replaced it for free) and it started right up but after driving a couple of minutes the battery light came on. So, I'll have to figure out what's happening with the charging system.

·
Premium Member
7,357 Posts
IF yours is the 2.4 4banger.....
It uses a decoupling pulley on the alternator that likes to wear out around 80k miles. It can be replaced with special tools, BUT by age and that the whole alternator has to come off anyway it is best to get a quality reman alternator.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Resolved: So apparently the "new" alternator I bought in October died. After replacing the battery I load tested it with a volt meter and was getting under 12 volts while the car was running. I returned the alternator to Advance Auto yesterday (still under warranty) and the car is working great now <knock wood> I even changed the oil while I down there. Thanks for the help!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts