Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Avenger SXT V6 3.6L, 51k mi, that has begun having problems. The ETC light and check engine light have both come on. The ETC light is intermittent and when it is on, the vehicle has reduced power but then intermittently accelerates as if a sudden boost of power. It also refuses to shift into 6th gear.

The ETC light will turn off if I reduce the strain on the battery by shutting off the radio/AC/unplugging cellphone charger (etcetera), and then turning off/on the car. I've had the code checked and it says that it is indeed the ETC, but i'm wondering if maybe it isn't the battery. I bought the car in Dec of 2012 and it's the same battery it came with, so I do realize the battery is probably at the end of it's life.

The main problem I have right now is money and time. My first born is due on the 12th, so i don't have the money or time to troubleshoot, but with the light being intermittent it will cost $130+ at the dealership to run a diagnostic just to give me a for certain answer. Batteries around here cost around $115+ as well. This is also my only vehicle.

If there's any tips or advice I can get it would be greatly appreciated, I AM DESPERATE!

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
At least take it out and clean the terminals and cable connectors, But you are at the time for a battery.You could also look at the throttle body and check it for carbon/gunk buildup that would restrict the throttle plate from working smoothly, as it is not cable operated but run by an electric(small) motor and gears(which are known to fail with age.
Autozone, O'reillys Advance auto can do a free scan for you also.
Best wishes for the upcoming arrival!

EDIT
: And yes the battery is a pain to get at.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At least take it out and clean the terminals and cable connectors, But you are at the time for a battery.You could also look at the throttle body and check it for carbon/gunk buildup that would restrict the throttle plate from working smoothly, as it is not cable operated but run by an electric(small) motor and gears(which are known to fail with age.
Autozone, O'reillys Advance auto can do a free scan for you also.
Best wishes for the upcoming arrival!

EDIT
: And yes the battery is a pain to get at.
Thank you for the response! And thanks i'm excited!

As for the battery and looking at the ETC i'm going to go do that. I will let you know how it works!

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts