Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Crystal Blue Pearlcoat
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have had my car since Feb 2014 and I only have just under 65k miles. Never once has it popped up reading change oil. I always get my oil changed when it's time. So no need for it to come on. Well, I was involved in an accident on 4/13/22 and the damage was to the right front. I'll show pics. But I had the car in the collision center and they replaced and repaired with OEM parts and back to looking and driving great yesterday. But after driving for about 10 minutes I seen an alert that popped up for the first time that said "Change Oil". I just had my oil changed about a month or two before the accident. It's nowhere near the miles or time to need another oil change. Could this just be a sensor that needs to reset itself or should I reset it by disconnecting the battery after I make sure the fluid level is normal?? Why would it only be the check oil and nothing else after the repairs were done?
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Tread
Automotive parking light Car Automotive side marker light Vehicle Daytime
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Tire Land vehicle
Wheel Car Tire Automotive side marker light Vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Synthetic rubber
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Bird Tread

These last 3 were the tierod or something had broken off the wheel so the wheel would not turn. They said a they had to replace the gear assembly. Whatever that is.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Check the oil level on the dip stick and see if the oil looks dark/dirty on the stick.
To reset the warning:
2013-2014
  1. Without your foot on the brake pedal, press ENGINE START/STOP button to cycle vehicle to ON/RUN mode (make sure engine is OFF)
  2. Fully depress and release the accelerator pedal 3 times within 10 seconds.
  3. Turn the key to the OFF position and then back on to confirm reset was accepted.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check the oil level on the dip stick and see if the oil looks dark/dirty on the stick.
To reset the warning:
2013-2014
  1. Without your foot on the brake pedal, press ENGINE START/STOP button to cycle vehicle to ON/RUN mode (make sure engine is OFF)
  2. Fully depress and release the accelerator pedal 3 times within 10 seconds.
  3. Turn the key to the OFF position and then back on to confirm reset was accepted.
I do not have an engine start stop button so just turn key to on position then?

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Yes, that's right.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, that's right.
Ok I'll see what happens in the morning. But I did check my oil level and it was fine but i notice my oil is dark and i just had an oil change a couple months before the accident. I still have 3k miles and a few more months before next change i get full synthetic and it has worked wonderfully. And before I forget there is another warning light on now too. It is the airbag deploy one. It looks like a ball on the lap of someone sitting. None of my airbags have deployed but what could have happened at the collision center I have no idea. They didn't say anything. Should this reset also reset that warning as well?

Sorry just want to know what I'm dealing with if I have to contact collision center.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
If the oil is dirty already I suspect they never changed the oil. Synthetic doesn't get dirty that fast. There is an automatic sensor that lets you know when an oil change is due. No the reset will only turn off the 'oil change' warning. I would take the car back to the body shop to have the air bag issue fixed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the oil is dirty already I suspect they never changed the oil. Synthetic doesn't get dirty that fast. There is an automatic sensor that lets you know when an oil change is due. No the reset will only turn off the 'oil change' warning. I would take the car back to the body shop to have the air bag issue fixed.
Yeah the oil was changed but now I'm wondering if they used regular oil. I'm taking it back to the oil change people today and calling the collision center today as well. Thank you very much I appreciate it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One last question can oil be tested to see if it is synthetic or not? So I can walk in there knowing what I am talking about?

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Pour some in a freezer bag and freeze over night to keep it cold. If it pours like molasses, then it is regular oil. Synthetic oil will pour more like water. Unscientific but it works. They may have used synthetic previously but they may have charged you without actually changing it the last time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts