Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I have a 2013 Dodge Avenger. It has the following symptoms:
-When I turn the key to ignition, I can hear some clicking - but it doesn't sound like the starter solenoid. It dims the lights and dash indicators.
-The car functions normally (accessories, lights, etc) when key set to "ON" or "ACC"
- This happened suddenly with no warning

Things we've checked:
  • Security (no red light, engine not turning on at all)
  • Codes (no active codes)
  • Battery (measures fine, terminals clean[mostly])
  • Fuses good
  • Relays good
  • Car has gas, fluids good, etc
  • I also attempted to start it jumped off of another vehicle - no change.
3.6l V6 / Automatic
- Aftermarket remote start module installed(2 years ago)but this doesn't seem to be the issue - same symptoms when attempting to remote start or when using key in ignition

Thanks for taking the time to read this / think this over. I really appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
6,728 Posts
Either a bad battery(it may have 12V but what about AMPS...Load tested?) Or bad starter or wiring on the starter solenoid. Symptoms you describe are "textbook" signs of the 2 things I give my opinion about.
BTW, for the proper record did this happen upon installing the aftermarket remote start or has weak starting been happening for some time?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Either a bad battery(it may have 12V but what about AMPS...Load tested?) Or bad starter or wiring on the starter solenoid. Symptoms you describe are "textbook" signs of the 2 things I give my opinion about.
BTW, for the proper record did this happen upon installing the aftermarket remote start or has weak starting been happening for some time?

Thanks for the reply!
It happened all of a sudden this morning when I tried to start it to get to university. Its been working fine with the remote start unit since I installed in 2+ years ago.

I also attempted to start it jumped off of another vehicle - no change.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
If you have access to a battery charger, I would charge for a day and then load test it. If the battery has not been changed in 3-4 years, I would change it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi all! The issue ended up being a bad battery cable. One half of the terminal/connector on the battery end had sheared away. New ends and cleaning all connections fixed the issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts