Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so im not sure im in the right thread so bare with me. My 2013 dodge Avenger has a lifter tap noise and when accelerated it gets louder. So my question is how did you guys fix it. My dads a mechanic but lives in another state so I face timed him and he said it's the lifters and to put in additive i did its much quieter but the noise is still there especially when accelerated so. What else can i do I don't want to drive it and cause the lifters to collapse. Help

·
Premium Member
6,858 Posts
Welcome to the forumz, but my what a distressing way to come to find us!
First off, need to know which size motor is under the hood and about how many miles are on it. If the Check Engine Light is illuminated when you drive it, having codes retrieved and posted here could help narrow down the cylinder that is having the lifter tap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forumz, but my what a distressing way to come to find us!
First off, need to know which size motor is under the hood and about how many miles are on it. If the Check Engine Light is illuminated when you drive it, having codes retrieved and posted here could help narrow down the cylinder that is having the lifter tap.
Hey thanks ! And its 4 cylinder engine and the engine light is not illuminated but the oil light is but I just replaced my alternator and battery and changed the oil I put in the liquid moly ceratec additive to my oil. My car had been sitting in storage for 4 months and didnt make this noise before I put it in storage

·
Premium Member
6,858 Posts
This is not sounding good if the oil warning light is on when the motor is running! What weight oil did you use? I am not familiar with the additive you posted, what part of the States are you and car at, is this maybe a regional area product? You sound like your DAD, along with his trade, did some training up with you also!...big :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used pennzoil 5W30 Synthetic oil. I hope I spelled it right but my dad said that ceratec was better than the lucas additive. I'm in California specifically 29 palms in the Hi-Desert area. And thank you he taught most of what he knows he was a heavy duty mechanic for 40 years :)

·
Premium Member
6,858 Posts
Should I be saying Semper Fi?
Oil and additive are good, but after being stored that long, many motors have lifter "bleed down". I'm more concerned about the OIL LIGHT being on, lifters themselves would not cause that. The 2.4 motor is a pretty good motor, but I've not had a lot of hands on with them. I've got the Mitsubishi based coupe with a V6.
You or I could do some researching to find a fuse in the Fuse panel to disable spark/fuel and try cranking the motor without it starting to pump oil thru the passages to get it where it's bled down from...That is if you have not run the motor long when you heard the lifter noise.
Sorry for the posting delay, I'm also monitoring a different brand auto forum. ;)

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
It uses 5w20 NOT 5w30...regardless of engine size
Yes the 2013's both use 5W20. Strange in my 2011 the 2.4 uses 5W20 but the 3.6 uses 5W30.

"Engine Oil – 3.6L Engine
Use API Certified SAE 5W-30 Engine Oil, meeting the requirements of
Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395. Refer to your engine oil filler cap
for correct SAE grade."

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
My 2011 3.6 calls for 5w30. I use Mobile 1 full synthetic.

·
Registered
Dodge Avenger SE 2.4L
5 Posts
Yes the 2013's both use 5W20. Strange in my 2011 the 2.4 uses 5W20 but the 3.6 uses 5W30.

"Engine Oil – 3.6L Engine
Use API Certified SAE 5W-30 Engine Oil, meeting the requirements of
Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395. Refer to your engine oil filler cap
for correct SAE grade."
Wow man wasn't expecting a reply from you you're like a legend on this forum🤙
Which oil do you recommend/ use? I'm about to switch from pennzoil platinum full syn to either platinum high mileage(143000 miles currently)
or ultra platinum

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
No legend here Caveman but thanks, just trying to help out. I would recommend the Mobil 1 Extended Performance synthetic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts