Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I got an issue that's kind of puzzling me. Long story short, car was running normal yesterday and today, I have a no crank no start. The car doesn't respond to the key fob at all, but when I connect jumper cables to the battery to jump it, the car springs to life and the alarm system starts freaking out. After a minute of it doing this, I can now lock the car with the key fob, but the radio, dash lights, and vents kick on. Once you lock the car with the key fob, they all stay on. Another issue is that once you insert the key, you get no audible dings from the ignition, and the car doesn't respond at all to trying to start it. No crank, no nothing. I left the car to charged for about 30 minutes and attempted to start it again and it only reproduced the same results. Once you disconnect the jumper, about 15 seconds later, everything turns off suddenly and we go back to not responding to the key fob/no crank no start.

Any thoughts on this? The battery checks out at 12.4v, I pulled the PCM fuse to kill all power to the PCM, resetting the battery did nothing. My only thoughts may be the starter or battery cable to the start may be bad, but I'm unsure. Anyone ever ran into this before? Thanks everyone! (first post by the way!)

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Battery voltage alone is not enough to determine what the battery is like. You need to do a proper load test. I would start by cleaning all battery connections from the battery to the jumping posts. Make sure to clean to nice shiny metal and coat with dielectric grease. How old is the battery? 3-5 is life expectancy. While the battery is out for the cable cleaning I would take it to a parts store and have the load test done. If it tests bad, a new battery is in order. Cold weather and age is a battery's enemy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts