Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had a problem with brown gravish sludge in your coolant reservoir. The lid and the rim of the tank was just polluted with this sludge. This car has only 27k(it was my dads). The oil is ok, and the antifreeze looks ok. What is this? HEEELP. It sound like oil to me........:cry:
When I moved my dad in with me, I went to check the oil, and there was no dipstick, why? Who know?! I now have a factory dipstick. I put a cap on the dipstick tube until I could got one.........$30 bucks.....grrrr!!! Could have something happened from that?

Brian

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Could be someone added some kind of incompatible coolant to the reservoir. You might want to flush the cooling system and refill with the proper coolant for your car. With such low mileage I wouldn't suspect oil in the coolant.

Reactions: Avenger Pastor

·
Registered
44 Posts
So AP1, you are saying corrosion? If so, flushing the system, piece of cake. I have to drive about 8 hrs tomorrow total, but I hope to this weekend to get it done.
Thanks,
Brian
It's possible. If the car only has 27k miles it could be that the coolant in the system is just old and broken down and just need to be flushed out with fresh new coolant.

·
Registered
44 Posts
so i'm doing a coolant flush this weekend, but it takes dexcool right? How many quarts/gallons?
I’d use whatever colored coolant is currently present in the system just in case you’re arent able to remove all of the old coolant, you eliminate the risk of mixing different type of coolant.

According to google, the 2.4l engine takes about 7.2 quarts

And the v6 engine takes 11.6

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
The oil cooler is leaking. They fail, all of them on all of the pentastars. I had it. Mine turned into pudding on my way home. A real pain to clean, highly corrosive. A simple flush won't do.

Edit, just noticed this is the 2.4 section, not 3.6. Nevermind my remarks

How long has it been since the car was actually properly driven?

·
Registered
44 Posts
schurik could be right. Idk enough about these cars yet to really know things like that. Ive had my avenger for like 8 months so I know some basic things about it and that’s only for the 2.4l, Idk anything what happens to the 3.5l. Thats what makes this forum a great place to learn.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
This is the recommended coolant from the owner's manual:
We recommend you use MOPAR® Antifreeze/Coolant 10Year/
150,000Mile Formula OAT(OrganicAdditiveTechnology).

·
Registered
2013, 2.4
3 Posts
okay not to be that guy but Chrysler actually uses HOAT (hybrid organic acid technology) in their coolant systems. coolants/antifreezes like zerex or literally anything that says it has HOAT in it or is designed for Chrysler would be the coolant to use. currently trying to do a service on my own coolant system.

·
Registered
391 Posts
And to make it more fun... They changed from HOAT to OAT for in 2013. So my 2012 avenger takes one and my 2014 uses the other and they are NOT compatible with each other.

Reactions: 5rebel9

·
Premium Member
7,454 Posts
Had this same condition of brown sludge in our '11 Journey with 3.6 motor when we first got it well used. MULTIPLE flushes and last step of replacing the plugged up heater core have cleared that problem up now and great heat back on the passenger side. I went with PEAK coolant for all vehicles with no further problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can confirm as I own a 2013 avenger.Yes they switched to OAT in 2013 from HOAT in the previous years.I extensively researched this to be sure.I also have the edg version.My coolant is orange if it means anything....
For the OP the brown sludge in my opinion is probably just old broken down coolant as thats what it does (oat or dexcool)after many years of sitting.Either way its most likely just from very old coolant and as was suggested a flush would be a great idea.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok guys, sorry I haven't responded lately, but this site and me got some things screwed up, and NOW I'M BACK BABY, I'M BACK!

So I changed my coolant......WHAT A PAIN, AN ENORMOUS PAIN! UGH! The petcock,(aka, the drain plug) is not that accessible.You have to take the enormous plastic radiator guard off, 8mm(I think) bolts and the plastic snaps. With plastic snaps, I'M TELLING YOU RIGHT NOW, GET YOURSELF THE RIGHT TOOL TO TAKE THESE OFF, UGH! If you don't, boom, you won't have them and your molding will soon start flapping in the breeze and get caught on something and RIP, you have problems and no radiator protection.

So the petcock is extremely hard to get to, and mine was still factory sealed, WOW, REALLY TIGHT! BUT, the good news is this, once you find a way to reach it with needle nose pliers, then you can get it to drain.
So I used some blue stuff from rislone Hy-per Cool Radiator Cleaner & Super Flush | Rislone

I don't know if it worked, but I think it really might have done the trick, all the sludge is gone, and it seems to be even hotter, and I ran the a/c it seems to be iceer(LOL!) and all the coolant system seems to be responding faster. The gauge is even not going all the way to the half temp mark. So you decide for yourself from what I said.

I too, like what was said above, used

IT SAYS ON THE BOTTLE, CHRYSLER 2013 AND NEWER!
Also, when messing with the petcock.......USE NEEDLE NOSE PLIERS THAT HAVE THE BEND IN THEM! I didn't have any, I'm investing in a pair(s), but this is what you need to get in the VERY WEIRD HARD POSITIION IT IS IN.........WHAT A ROYAL PAIN! This is what took up most of my time, LITERALLY!

The system takes nearly the 7.2 it says, so I guess I might have had some distilled water left and the Rislone Radiator Flush. I RECOMMEND THAT YOU USE AN ANTIFREEZE TESTER TO MAKE SURE YOUR NOT TO DILUTED, MEANING YOU DIDN'T FLUSH ENOUGH WATER OUT. I live in Illinois, it is 32 degrees here today 11/12/22. The coolant is rated for -34, make sure your @ LEAST @ THAT OR NOT MUCH LESS for you all who are in winter states.
Sorry for the CAPITALS(I'm not screaming, EMPHAZING...LOL!) and I'm part Italian I think.
Brian

·
Registered
4 Posts
Stupid me, to make it drain faster, and after the level was way down, and it was just dripping, I put my mouth over the radiator opening and blew hard to get the rest of it out.
Later that day, I had a case of the dizzies for a good 8hrs or so, SO I went to bed. I DON'T RECOMMEND DOING THAT. I knew what it was and I wiped my mouth off with my shirt when I did it, but it also had residual coolant on the shir. DUMB, DUMB, DUMB.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts