Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the standard 215/55 R18 tyres on my factory 5-spoke 18" alloy rims. My question is, does anyone out there run 235/50 R18 tyres on factory 18s, or have any thoughts on the idea?

Thanks. :smileup:

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As long as your RIM...not tire...is between 6.5-8.8 inches you can run 235/50/18

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?action=submit
Look to the right it says rim width range for that size tire 235/50/18
Proof
Thanks man. It was from one of your prevoius posts that I got the idea...

So i was doing some research cause there has been alot of people asking questions about if these rims fit or what tires will fit. I came across this website http://www.1010tires.com/ . It shows what range of Rim and Tire will fit for example if your running 255/35/20 your rims can range 8.5-10 in. So from the looks of things you can have a rim that is 9in which i belive is too wide for the 2010 avenger ( if not inform me) On a 245 tire which does clear the rear fender of the 2010 avenger. Just some food for thought and a good reference for future use.
I see from the comparison that 235/50 R18 tyres should in theory be okay, (if anything they will improve the accuracy of the speedo... :D) but I was kinda hoping someone out there had actually tried it... :)

·
Registered
489 Posts
i got what your saying, it always eases the mind knowing someone else is doing the ame thing oor already tried it.

·
Registered
941 Posts
There was talk about this a year and a half ago but I am not sure if anyone actually changed over. Most don't have enough miles on their cars yet to need tires, lol.

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
I just bought some tires that were 10mm wider. I did that to help on curb scratches!! Works great so far! I think I went from 225 to 235.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I just bought some tires that were 10mm wider. I did that to help on curb scratches!! Works great so far! I think I went from 225 to 235.
Can you check the next time you are out with your car (ie. getting in before you drive home from work). I am sure a lot of members are coming up on tires in the next year and this question will be asked a lot.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Can you check the next time you are out with your car (ie. getting in before you drive home from work). I am sure a lot of members are coming up on tires in the next year and this question will be asked a lot.
Just to add to this here, im using 235s on the new rims and i dont seem to be having any rubbing issues. I checked before, i extended the wheel completely, went for a drive, checked, still seems all good. The only thing i noticed was a slight shaking around 50mph, and it felt more "bouncy" going over bumps. The shake i believe i need to have them balanced better.

Reactions: John316

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
I did check at lunch but forgot to post here. I had 215/60/R17 as stock and went to 225/60/R17 to get a wider tire. No issues for me other than they do feel looser than the OEM tires.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did check at lunch but forgot to post here. I had 215/60/R17 as stock and went to 225/60/R17 to get a wider tire. No issues for me other than they do feel looser than the OEM tires.
Interesting that you mention the 'looseness', I did wonder if that would be an issue with wider tyres. Is it very noticable, or just when you're pushing it in the corners?

Speaking as the guy who knows nothing... but looking at the comparisons, would a 225/55R17 not be a better size on a 17" wheel? Just a thought...

tiresize.jpg

Appreciate everyone's input btw, keep 'em coming, it's great to have lots of different views and experiences. :smileup:

Attachments

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
The looseness is pretty much all the time. And this could be due to the tire manufacturer (Kuhmo). The car almost feels like it wiggles much more when you steer from side to side. Similar to the old boats or cars that use to rule the day.

For the tire comparison, I would say yes and no. Yes, the tire should handle a bit better just for the fact that the side wall is shorter, and the tire is wider. One point to keep in mind is that when moving to a shorter tire (55) you will have a larger gap for your wheel wells. Just something to keep in mind! I hope this helps you out!

·
Registered
941 Posts
The looseness is pretty much all the time. And this could be due to the tire manufacturer (Kuhmo). The car almost feels like it wiggles much more when you steer from side to side. Similar to the old boats or cars that use to rule the day.

For the tire comparison, I would say yes and no. Yes, the tire should handle a bit better just for the fact that the side wall is shorter, and the tire is wider. One point to keep in mind is that when moving to a shorter tire (55) you will have a larger gap for your wheel wells. Just something to keep in mind! I hope this helps you out!
I would venture to say that it is more of the manufacturer then the increase in sidewall height that is causing the looseness. When I go tire shopping, I feel the sidewalls of the tires. If they are flimsy, then I know they will be loose but if they are super stiff, then I know they will ride like a rock. Its a tough battle but it is one that you have to do when shopping tires.

Also, you will notice some tires have 2-3ply sidewalls and others have 4-6 and trucks have up to 10.

Reactions: John316 and Sphinx

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

235/50R18 option for me is close enough (sidewall height-wise) to not be visibly noticable, I would think... (difference of 0.77 mm or 0.03 in) It's the side-to-side movement (looseness/wiggle/bounce) that is my main concern...

Thanks for the input tho. :)

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would venture to say that it is more of the manufacturer then the increase in sidewall height that is causing the looseness. When I go tire shopping, I feel the sidewalls of the tires. If they are flimsy, then I know they will be loose but if they are super stiff, then I know they will ride like a rock. Its a tough battle but it is one that you have to do when shopping tires.

Also, you will notice some tires have 2-3ply sidewalls and others have 4-6 and trucks have up to 10.
Cool info! Thanks! :smileup:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Larger Tyres

Well just to add my experiences, Ii went from the stock size of 215/55/18 on my Avenger to 245/50/18 and I would say its much better, far more solid on hard cornering and a big plus is it fills the arch better and looks lots better especialy from the rear

Have fun folks :)

·
Registered
941 Posts
Well just to add my experiences, Ii went from the stock size of 215/55/18 on my Avenger to 245/50/18 and I would say its much better, far more solid on hard cornering and a big plus is it fills the arch better and looks lots better especialy from the rear

Do you have any pics from the side and possible from the front showing how the tire bulges due to the small width rim?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Cool! ...Have you experienced any of the negative effects that others have mentioned, loosness etc..? Any chance of some pics? :)

Thanks for the input. :smileup:

·
Registered
11,015 Posts

Are you sure about this size? Seams pretty wide, and they are actually shorter (height wise) than the original ones, so I am not sure how they could fill the wheel well better... Can you double check those numbers? :thk:

·
Registered
941 Posts
Are you sure about this size? Seams pretty wide, and they are actually shorter (height wise) than the original ones, so I am not sure how they could fill the wheel well better... Can you double check those numbers? :thk:
I think you are confused on what the numbers actually represent. The first is the tires width, the second is the percentage of the tires width used for height and the last is the rims diameter.

Doing 55% of 215 is ~4.7"

Doing 55% of 245 is ~4.8"

This shows that the 245/50 is actually larger then the 215/55

1 - 20 of 30 Posts