Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know what the differences in the Charger 3.5 engine and the Avenger 3.5 engine? The Charger is rated at 250 and the Avenger is rated at 235. I was looking on the Charger forums and there seems to be alot of upgrade information for the 3.5 charger engine.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hey jwrico I don't know a whole lot about the mods for the 3.5L but if you look in the mods section on here I'm sure that there is alot of information. And there are a lot of guys on here that mod thier vehicles that could help.
And let me welcome you to the forumz. And if you could drop us a note on the newbie checkin thread. Also there are some polling threads on here.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
Does anybody know what the differences in the Charger 3.5 engine and the Avenger 3.5 engine? The Charger is rated at 250 and the Avenger is rated at 235. I was looking on the Charger forums and there seems to be alot of upgrade information for the 3.5 charger engine.
The Charger runs the 3.5L first gen motor, and the Avenger runs the 3.5L second gen motor. The second gen motor in the Avenger has a higher compression ratio. But was detuned by a more agressive air flow restriction. Just open up the air flow by removing the stock air box and making a CAI, which removes the air flow restriction. You will notice a difference right off the bat. Member Bullet85 has made an excellent CAI and I believe he would explain how he did it.
Another pluse for the Avenger is the gearing ratio of the six speed transmission. (it has a special kickdown gear). Go to this link and have a look at the chart the shows the difference. http://allpar.com/mopar/new6.html

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I like the six speed when you put your foot in it. I don't think I'll use the autostick much, seems like the transmissions can shift it quicker than I can. Do you know if anyone makes an aftermarket CAI kit for the Avenger R/T? well happy posting.

James

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
For now you will have to make youe own CAI. Member Bullet85 has made an outstanding one for his R/T. Just PM him and I think he would give you a good explaination on how he made his.

Autostick (manumatic mode) gives you more performance as you can play in the higher RPM range where the fun begains. This is where the Avenger starts to show its stuff , and you a true believer in the 3.5L. When city driving you put less wear on the transmission in manual shift mode, than in auto. Just take a drive through the city and feel how much the transmission shifts while in auto mode compared to manual shift mode. No worry to down shift at a stop, as the computer will down shift for you. See a big hill up ahead, you can downshift faster than the computer can have the transmission do, and then upshift faster also. The computer will only bring the treansmission into fourth when claiming that hill, But if you need third ? remember, if your transmission is in auto mode and it only shift down into fourth prime (yes we have really two fourth gears), and you need third. Than the motor is over working and the trany is over heating. Now put it into third gear, and the motor is in the correct rpm range,(power) so that the motor is not lagging(sp) and the trany is not over heating.

All I'm trying to say, is that to make your transmission last longer and put less wear on your motor, than drive it in manumatic. For normal driving, just follow this shift patern. 1st to 2nd shift at 3,000 rpm. If you shift between 2,000 to 2,500 you will notice a hard up shift as the rpm's were not high enough. The computer will not let you shift below the 2,000 rpm range. If it does you will not like the feeling or the noise from the transmission. From 2nd to 3rd shift at 3,000 rpm's. You can shift as low as 2,000 rpm's but the transmission will give a nice clung, and the car will spring forward. From 3rd to 4th shift between 3,000 and 3,500 rpm's. Now if your just city driving no need to hit the other two gears, as you need to be around 50mph and higher for 5th and 6th gear.

For track driving or the once and awhile highway race, shift between 4.500 and 5,000 rpm's between each gear, and hold on, as you will see what this 3.5L is all about.

Now for those nuts that really want to open this 3.5L up,....just red line that R/T and pray your brakes are working good.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Good tips Reg.

Was curious since I'm new to all this but should we always let the comp just automatically downshift or no? When I downshift sometimes its really hard and I know thats been a problem but I've never driven a stick so I'm not sure if its me or the car. I try to downshift under 2,000 rpms but still sometimes its really hard. Any suggestions reg?

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
No you do not need to let the computer down shift for you at a stop light. It sounds like you are getting a very hard down shift. By this I mean a clunking sound when down shifting. Just make sure when you shift that you do not go through the gears fast. Make sure you know that the gear has engaged and the rpm's are coming down before dropping down to a lower gear. During shift testing on the track, I had noticed that at times the computer was also down shifting at the same time I was, which resulted in a clunk or at times a jolt. As long as the down shift was between 2,000 and 1,500 rpm's everything worked out great. When your up shifting there is no worry about taking your foot off the gas pedal. When passing drop down a gear while mashing the pedal and hold on. but when stopping, you want to let the compression of the motor work for you in slowing you down. If you do not let the car come down some from the upper rpm's (when you down shift your rpm's go higher), and you shift into another lower gear, you will get a clunk. So you must plan your down shift ahead of time or let the computer do it as your slowing down to a full stop. So remember, down shifting can help a lot in slowing down and passing. The rpm's and compression or working in to different ways. Going down a hill in auto mode you use your brakes a lot to slow down. In munual mode, you have better slow down due to the compression of the motor along with the high rpm's in the lower gear. Now, when going up a hill, its much easier for the car to gain speed do to higher rpm's and compression. I will not get into the major player known as TQ. As manual mode is what we are talking about. I hope I've been able to help out some through my rambulling on.
The six speed transmission used in the R/T Avenger is outstanding in design and is dam near bullet proof.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts