Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody in here interested in a turbo system for your R/T? I'm looking to develope a system for my AWD R/T, but I'm interested to know if anybody here has a 2WD that is thinking about the same thing, and if they could post up photos of their undercarriage so that I can compare exhaust pipes. I couldn't imagine the manufacture wasting money to develope a different system... but you never know..

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
exciting

Everyone has talked about the 2.4l getting a turbo, but you are the first to want to do it with thee 3.5l. I would love to see someone hit 300hp in an Avenger and give the critics something to chew on.

This is something Chrysler should have thought of in the first place. The R/T should have had either a blown 6 or even an eight.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am just learning about cars but making my R/T 3.5L go to 300 mph? Now that would be MINT! How much would it cost for a turbo to be installed ya think?

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
The exhaust is different between the FWD and the AWD. Are you thinking about a remote turbo or what?

Might be better to use a Vortec supercharger with the jack-shaft to make it mount at the rear of the motor by the TB and close to the intake. That might be a better option.

Lastly, don't forget about tuning. So far there are zero handheld tuners for the Avenger so you might have to get a tuner on-board or go with a stand-alone.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The kit I'm looking to put together is going to be set up as a "stage 1." Its should get around 300WHP. No intercooler, so the car from the exterior will look stock. I'm in talks with an exhaust shop who is willing to bend up a turbo back exhaust system as well. My goal is to blow away a G35 or an IS350. I'm not sure of pricing yet, still mocking everything up, but it would be nice if the kit could be adapted to other models too. Anybody with a 2.7L is welcome to post up undercarriage photos too. It wouls deffinately help. A "stage 2" system would probably include an intercooler.. but thats down the road.

·
Registered
610 Posts
is the auto stick a CVT transmission? If so I beleave the max boost it can take is around 8lbs . but that should put you well into the 300HP range. Your fuel maps will need to be redone as well i beleave. what kind of standalone managment sys did you have in mind.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Already thought about the Vortec w/ a jackshaft.. won't fit over the oil filler cap on the valve cover. Besides, I'm going for a stealthier appearance. I am thinking about a remote system, I don't want to mess with the cats.. Tuning has already been thought about. I know the exhaust is different in the rear, being that the AWD has a differential in the way, I'm more concerned with the front half. The R/T has a six speed auto. By the way, no stand alone..

·
Registered
350 Posts
That would be totally awesome!!!! I also have a R/T AWD and would love to push it to 300hp.

·
Banned
170 Posts
This is something Chrysler should have thought of in the first place. The R/T should have had either a blown 6 or even an eight.
Chrysler has never gone the route of supercharging their vehicles. They've pretty much always stuck with turbos as a performance upgrade. And they've never turbo'ed 6- or 8-cylinder engines, just the 4-bangers (except the Stealth's but those were Mitsu TT engines).

Honestly, I doubt Chrysler ever thought of Avengers as being a high-end performance-based platform. Sure, we got the R/T with a respectable engine/power output but there is no 'SRT' Avenger platform which is/was Chrysler's true performance brand. The Caliber SRT was it's head-to-head car for the turbo imports and domestic supercharged cars. And the Charger and Challenger SRT cars were aimed at the larger 'muscle car' competition. The decision makers figured if you wanted a true performance car you'd either go with the import crowd or the muscle car crowd.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
I wish you the best of luck with your build. I guess I will just wait to see how you run the lines for the turbo and what tuning you go with. I do admit thou, it would be nice to take out a g35 or an IS350 but they do have an advantage being RWD thou.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Anybody in here interested in a turbo system for your R/T? I'm looking to develope a system for my AWD R/T, but I'm interested to know if anybody here has a 2WD that is thinking about the same thing, and if they could post up photos of their undercarriage so that I can compare exhaust pipes. I couldn't imagine the manufacture wasting money to develope a different system... but you never know..

Im down, but I have a 2.4L.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A 2.4 can most likely adapt the CSRT-4 turbo manifold on it. Clearance shouldn't be an issue since our cars are on an enlarged platform of the Caliber.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
My question is what r u gonna do for tuning? Re-flash or piggy-back? I'm just curious cause u didnt say exactly.

·
Registered
565 Posts
A turbo would be cool. You may want to talk to inertia motor sports, they have cams available for the 3.5L and are working on a stroker kit. They also do tuning through b&g.

All stock looking is the way to go. I like surprises.

- Dan M

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm a little late getting on this thred, but i have an 3.5 FWD and am really interested in seeing how you go about doing this. Unfortunately i don't have too many tools at the moment, but i have been looking at some universal turbo kits off of e-bay and would love to try this out.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts