Dodge Avenger Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Actually after doing some research i think that i will try out an electric supercharger. The link below is a review for one and it sounds really promising. I have seen these on e-bay for as little as $50, i doubt that they are the same quality but i think it is deffinately something to look into. About mid month i think that i will try and order one and will let everyone know how it goes. http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0406tur_knight_turbo_electric_supercharger/index.html

·
Registered
615 Posts
Actually after doing some research i think that i will try out an electric supercharger. The link below is a review for one and it sounds really promising. I have seen these on e-bay for as little as $50, i doubt that they are the same quality but i think it is deffinately something to look into. About mid month i think that i will try and order one and will let everyone know how it goes. http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0406tur_knight_turbo_electric_supercharger/index.html
definitely interested in what it will be like. keep us posted!

·
Registered
610 Posts
back when the forumz first started there was a thread about electric superchargers. I had done a ton of research and found the Thomas Knight setup was the best solution and had the highest gains. To solve the slow battery recharge time I was going to run it with two 2 FARAD capacitors to reuce the shock load to the charging sys. The 3.5L Avenger has a higher output alt so for all you 2.4L guys If you do decide to go this road I suggest an alt upgrade at the very least. The 2.4L can handle 5 lbs of boost with no internal mods. the only prob is ECM support. With lack of a tuner you do run the risk of running rich. For the 3.5L crowed i am sure a tuner will be avail soon becuse the power plant is used in so many chrystler vehicles. Best of luck to all with attempting this mod. I personally was fully intending to use the Thomas Knight set-up but sold my Avenger.
Bill

·
Registered
615 Posts
really useful information Loosenuts! i might consider it but i think i might just wait and see what else is made for the 2.4L
how's the lancer treating you

·
Registered
610 Posts
Great. Thanx for asking.....I have to admit i do miss my avenger.....but the Lancer is comming along nicley. Exhaust, SRI ,Crank pulley tint and so fourth are done. Working on getting my header and test pipe next week. Cant wait

·
Registered
610 Posts
the electric super charger is on demand. You are not running under constant boost. You can wire it to a micro switch so it only comes on at WOT (wide open throttle) or you can put it on a toggle switch and just switch it on. The batteries need to recover between applications and the charge is only good for about 15-19 seconds of sustained boost.I would wire in a volt metter to see what the sate of charge the battery pack is at...but I bet it feels great off the line or when you really want to pass someone.

·
Registered
680 Posts
How do you propose to tune the engine? You cannot simply add more air with a turbocharger and not add more fuel. The stock injectors are too small. Additionally, the stock computer utilizes a 1-Bar MAP sensor, so you'd also have to replace that.

No one makes a computer tuner for the Avenger, so I'm assuming that you will be moving to a stand-alone ECU?

I talked to a company that makes turbo kits for the 3.5L Chargers. He told me there is NO WAY to turbocharge the 3.5L Avenger until someone makes a computer tuner for it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I know how forced induction works. My previous car was a turbo vehicle, granted its was factory tuned for a turbo, but my 95 Neon wasn't and yet adding a turbo without a stand alone was no problem. There are no companies that provide PCM tuning for the first generation Neons for turbo application. There are other ways of tuning spark and fuel other than a stand alone or a hand held tuner. Injectors are a given, never add boost with out proper fuel accomidations. Running lean will cause a damage to your engine for those of you who are planning to add an "electric supercharger". Even nitrous oxide sprays additional fuel to compensate. FYI, 1 bar = around 14.5 PSI. plenty of room there for boost. 3.5L Chargers are only running 3 - 5 PSI. The 3.5L can only handle a maximum of 9 PSI on stock internals anyhow. There is a company out there with a turbo 3.5L Charger pushing 14 PSI, but they have custom forged pistons and rods. MAP was upgraded from the SRT-4.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I know how forced induction works. My previous car was a turbo vehicle, granted its was factory tuned for a turbo, but my 95 Neon wasn't and yet adding a turbo without a stand alone was no problem. There are no companies that provide PCM tuning for the first generation Neons for turbo application. There are other ways of tuning spark and fuel other than a stand alone or a hand held tuner. Injectors are a given, never add boost with out proper fuel accomidations. Running lean will cause a damage to your engine for those of you who are planning to add an "electric supercharger". Even nitrous oxide sprays additional fuel to compensate. FYI, 1 bar = around 14.5 PSI. plenty of room there for boost. 3.5L Chargers are only running 3 - 5 PSI. The 3.5L can only handle a maximum of 9 PSI on stock internals anyhow. There is a company out there with a turbo 3.5L Charger pushing 14 PSI, but they have custom forged pistons and rods. MAP was upgraded from the SRT-4.
Yeah, and there's a handheld tuner for the 3.5 Charger, which we, unfortunately, don't have. If we turbo the 3.5 Avenger, we'll have to either use a piggyback unit like the A'PEXi SAFC Neo or a full stand-alone unit like the Greddy eManage. I'm not so sure a stand-alone unit would be compatible with the CAN bus, though. I'm thinking piggyback unit is the way to go.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Yeah, the A'PEXI is nice, I personally like TurboXS DTEC much better. More user friendly. But those products only take care of boost control and fuel management. The spark is still too advanced to boost. It will need a retard timer. Anybody thinking about or trying to use a stand alone is pretty crazy. Our engine computers are tied in to our transmission computers. If the trans computer can't read right from the engine, the car doesn't move. A friend of mine was a tech at ABD Racing. They built an auto trans Jetta for speed channel, they ran into that exact problem when they threw in a stand alone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anybody in here interested in a turbo system for your R/T? I'm looking to develope a system for my AWD R/T, but I'm interested to know if anybody here has a 2WD that is thinking about the same thing, and if they could post up photos of their undercarriage so that I can compare exhaust pipes. I couldn't imagine the manufacture wasting money to develope a different system... but you never know..
I have a 08 dodge avenger R/T 3.5l high output engine and its front wheel drive I've wanted to turbo it seince I bought it when I get time to get it on a lift a take pics of the exhaust system

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
I have a 08 dodge avenger R/T 3.5l high output engine and its front wheel drive I've wanted to turbo it seince I bought it when I get time to get it on a lift a take pics of the exhaust system
This thread is from 11 years ago and nothing has been done since then unfortunately.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts