Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's the story. My fiance left for 2.5 weeks and my car sat at our house. We come back and I decide to go fishing with some family. I took my car and drove 80 miles. We fished and when it came time to leave my battery was dead. I got a jump and drove the other 80 miles back. Parked the car till the next day. I had to jump the car again. So I took it to autozone and had them test the battery and alternator. Test I believe may have been performed wrong. Said bad battery but 100% charge and bad alternator. So I bought a new battery and got a new alternator. Started the car and let it run. I came back out side and the car was idling weird and smoke came from the driver headligh. I turned it off. I couldnt get the car to start back up. On a different day I jumped it again and it ran while the jumpers where still connected. So I let it charge and started it. I disconnect the battery and the car does. I replaced the alternator again and same thing. I'm pulling codes across all systems for high and low voltage. I can update what codes I have. My car is 2012 dodge avenger 2.4l with approximately 145k miles. At this point I have no idea what I'm doing. I think it could possibly be the pcm not regulating the alternator. But before I get myself in that headache I was hoping to get some intel from you guys.

·
Premium Member
7,314 Posts
The smoke from the headlamp area was your clue to TROUBLE. Wiring harness and TIPM/ fuse panel along with your PCM(ECM) need to be checked very closely. I'm on a forum for the Dodge Journey make(same basic platform) and there was just a similar situation posted there. No resolution to the fix just yet(owner still in dismay).
Burnt electricals are not easy to track and fix properly on modern cars, it may be time to seek professional help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay so i am working on the car today. I cant afford to take it to a shop at the moment. I will list the codes that i have pulled up. I agree with you 5rebel9 i can tell it is going to be difficult to trouble shoot this problem.
Here are the codes taken a while back from a friends snap on scanner. they are all the same things except the u0019 that is the can b bus. the rest are high and low voltage codes across different systems.
u0019
b210d
c2101
c2102
c2100
b210d
b210a

·
Premium Member
7,314 Posts
The mentioned Journey of my reply was PARKED and another vehicle bought. You should NEVER disconnect the battery and run the engine on todays highly computerized control vehicles. All those codes relate to ECM AND BCM troubles. Complete wiring inspection for melted/broken wiring, good clean ground connections at battery,body and powertrain MUST be done before spending BIG money for new computer modules. This could also have affected the anti theft controls also....Sorry to say but you're in a pretty big pickle with this problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update,
Thank you rebel. I ended up getting a diagnostics from a local dealer. i threw everything back together when i took it.
The battery wasn't fully connected when i took it and i told them about it just to make sure that they didnt confuse that with the actual problem... All the work that i put into it the time and effort and it turned out to just be the battery connection on both positive and negative terminals. Just goes to show you that you may be over thinking the problems. Im out of town but my fiance picked it up for me said no lights are on and its driving fine. That really took a hit at my mechanical ego hahaha.

·
Premium Member
7,314 Posts
I have been seeing similar situations of actual POOR battery connections happening lately. Seems like overall that you "dodged a bullet" in it turning out to be just that.
SO MANY TIMES when I and others say to check and clean battery connections for problems that many people either dismiss out of hand or do not do proper diligence doing that. I even got caught with my dads Buick recently that even though a good and tight connection to both terminals was there, that somehow the chassis ground wire of the 3 wire neg cable would not complete the circuit. I found this by adding a ground wire from the cable clamp to another chassis point...and lo and behold all electrics came back.
When having electrical problems, the first thing to do is always go back to the basics and be sure of primary power and GROUND points AND cable integrity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts