Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys... I had fun this week, apparently when the temperature reaches around the point of freaking cold, you have a chance of blowing one of the power steering hoses on our avengers. It just happened to me Wed, I thought it was just cold so I parked it in my heated parkade overnight and in the morning I still had no power steering. Sent it to my dealership today and they said I had blown a Power steering line. On the good side it was covered by warranty.

So if you happen to be outside in below average temperatures and your steering wheel is extremely hard to turn this may be the cause.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I havent had any problems with mine yet and its gotten down to liek 15-20 degrees at night somtimes, but if that happens to me i'll know what to look for, thanks

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Thanks for the heads up!

I do testing for a living and we typically test products to -40C. Funny, but I always though no way could it get that cold ever...guess I was wrong!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Thanks for the heads up!

I do testing for a living and we typically test products to -40C. Funny, but I always though no way could it get that cold ever...guess I was wrong!
Hey AvengerRT,

The boys up there in Edmonton have endured colder that -50C at times when wind chill is factored in. I live in Northern Ontario and there are times when even we get prolonged -40C temperatures.

I'm pretty sure that GM has a cold weather test facilty in Kapuskasing, Ontario (See Timmins, Ontario about 200 miles North of Sudbury, Ontario) because of this very fact. There is something about a true -40C outdoor temperature that you just can't mock up in lab testing!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
-50C for those americans is -58F.... and i was just using a calc to convert them, and
-40C is the same as -40F imagine that?

·
Registered
68 Posts
sounds like someone left a clamp off the low pressure hose from the factory and that popped off. I have never seen a new high pressure hose "blow out" without outside intervention.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you never realize how much you rely on your power steering pump till its gone... best arm work out I've had in a while.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts