A/C Recharging

Discussion in 'Detailing and General Maintenance Forum' started by Anthony Boyd, May 6, 2017.

1. Anthony Boyd

Anthony Boyd New Member

Media:
    I have had my 2008 Avenger SE for just over a year now. When I bought it February 2016, the A/C worked wonders, and was COLD all through last summer. This spring, it is not cold. it will run cool, but takes a long time to get there. I think I just need to recharge the refrigerant, but I have never done that and am quote nervous. Can someone help me out with what I need to do? Would it be better to just have the dealer do it?

2. 5rebel9

5rebel9 Active Member Site Supporter Level 1 Military

Media:
    Albums:
    For a nine yr. old ride, I would have a certified a/c shop do a leak test to make sure that the system is able to hold the refrigerant charge and if needed have the needed seals or components replaced. A/c line seals are prone to leak after time and who knows what may have hit and punctured the a/c condenser that sits in front of the radiator through the winter season.

Anthony Boyd likes this.
  3. Intrepid

Intrepid Active Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Welcome to the forum Anthony! I've used this kit on several vehicles in the past and was very happy with the results. It comes with instructions and is very easy to use. The price is very good and an inexpensive way to do a DIY repair. If it doesn't work for you then you can bring it in to your mechanic for further diagnosis.
    https://www.amazon.com/RED-TEK-Refr...d=1494159140&sr=1-17&keywords=ac+recharge+kit

4. Anthony Boyd

Anthony Boyd New Member

Media:
    So I had purchase a small can of refrigerant before I wrote this post, and lost the receipt so I couldn't return it. I decided to go ahead and put it in, and it seemed to work, as it is now blowing cold... However, I have now discovered that it is only blowing cold on the passenger side (both the right center vent, and the passenger side vent by the door). Neither of the driver's side vents are blowing cold, just blowing air. Any thoughts? o_O

This weekend is supposed to be pretty warm here in Minnesota...

5. 5rebel9

5rebel9 Active Member Site Supporter Level 1 Military

Media:
    Albums:
    The system is still low on refrigerant, take it to a shop and have the A/C system tested for the leak that let the refrigerant escape from its closed system. and once that is corrected have the system "recharged" with the proper amount of R-134a at the proper pressures.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  6. Intrepid

Intrepid Active Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Could be your blend door actuator causing this. There are many threads on the forum about this issue that you could have a look at.