Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I would like some help finding a inexpensive but easy to use code reader for my 2011 avenger. Been to repair shop2 times at 200.00 a visit and figure for that price I coluld invest in my own for future use.Mainly need it for abs and traction control

·
Premium Member
7,454 Posts
Try dropping in on your local Autozone/Advance auto/O'reilly's auto parts stores. They have some scanners there and many current DIY ones that are capable to read ABS/SRS(airbag) codes.. for a large range of makes. they will even say on packaging that they are ABS/SRS capable or that they are CAN/BUS capable to read Body Control Module(BCM) codes.
This will give you a good start to finding some prices and capabilities with "eyeball and hands on" decision making.Prices for scanners with these capabilities are coming down from what they were just a few short years ago.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try dropping in on your local Autozone/Advance auto/O'reilly's auto parts stores. They have some scanners there and many current DIY ones that are capable to read ABS/SRS(airbag) codes.. for a large range of makes. they will even say on packaging that they are ABS/SRS capable or that they are CAN/BUS capable to read Body Control Module(BCM) codes.
This will give you a good start to finding some prices and capabilities with "eyeball and hands on" decision making.Prices for scanners with these capabilities are coming down from what they were just a few short years ago.
tr

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tried both places and they only do check engine light.Been looking online for a scanner and found Autel Auto Link obdal619 can obd2 are very popular with do it yourselfers, do you have any preferrences

·
Premium Member
7,454 Posts
Where on the planet are you located USA, Canada, Or such?
My nearest Autozone does carry CAN capable (reads ABS/SRS) scanners for less than $125 US.
I have No preference to offer as I've not bought one ...YET. It is all in what you feel is good for you in operation and why I suggested "eyes and hands on" as a place to START looking. I am rather skeptical by going with a decision by website only for look and description of such a tool. I have access to 2 different CAN capable scanners when I am in need of that higher capability(not very often), and just have an OBD11 scanner for the majority of my needs.

HAPPY HUNTING one that suits your desires, and let us know what you do get and how it works for you.:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I reside in Newport News VA and all 3 places only do check engine light. Took your input about scanners and picked one up for 125.00 and found I had a bad right rear sensor, replaced sensor and all is great and I have a scanner. Thanks for your help and this is an awesome site

1 - 8 of 8 Posts