Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Avenger with 152k on it. I have a mystery issue with my ABS System. The ABS will grab on either the right or left side randomly when coming to ta stop. First I had my speed sensors cleaned. This didn't solve the issue. Next I had them replaced. Still didn't solve the problem. I do not have an ABS light nor any codes coming up. I can't seem to find anyone else through Google searches that has or has had the same thing that is happening to me. Anyone have any ideas or experienced this?

·
Premium Member
6,635 Posts
Under what road conditions does this happen, and under what kind of braking effort? Sounds like the ABS system is working correctly, but something else( like a dragging brake, low tread tires on wet roads) may be making it activate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Under normal road conditions. Light & moderate braking. I have brand new tires and new brake pads all the way around. The ABS grabs then lets go right before coming to a complete stop only.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Could be an issue with the ESC system(stability control). Braking automatically is applied individually to wheels(could be receiving a false signal). Worst case scenario would be to replace the ABS module.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah the ABS module was going to be my next part. I am not really liking the idea of throwing money at it to see what works.

·
Premium Member
6,635 Posts
You may have put new pads all the way around, But did you surface or replace the rotors and make sure that calipers were functioning correctly and pads sliding smoothly? The ABS senses a difference in individual wheel speed rpms and activates accordingly. IF a brake is grabbing or binding, it will activate the ABS. LESS costly to go back and check brake workings than throw expensive ABS components at the problem.

·
Premium Member
6,635 Posts
Good Luck...Was only making suggestion from info given, sorry to play 30 question game.;)
Please do come back and report on what is found that fixes the problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought an used abs module at salvage yard had my mechanics put it on. They said go to the Dodge dealership and have it reset. I go there and they tell me they don’t have the capability to reset them because Chrysler won’t let. Is this true? Does anyone have any experience with this?

·
Premium Member
6,635 Posts
Can't say for certain as to that dealers reasoning. But member Brr had posted a thread about the use of Chry./Dodge STAR diagnostic system to properly bleed out the ABS and set functions. It's findable here on the forum, I suggest you look up that members content and find it to give it a good read thru. It may be mixed in with his posts about "Bigger Brakes".

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2010, and have had same problem on right front for 2 yrs. Ive put over $3000 in and still no fix. Ive replaced the caliper, sensor, all pads, tires, turned rotors, replaced rotor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2013 Avenger with 152k on it. I have a mystery issue with my ABS System. The ABS will grab on either the right or left side randomly when coming to ta stop. First I had my speed sensors cleaned. This didn't solve the issue. Next I had them replaced. Still didn't solve the problem. I do not have an ABS light nor any codes coming up. I can't seem to find anyone else through Google searches that has or has had the same thing that is happening to me. Anyone have any ideas or experienced this?
Same issue on what seems to be right front. 2013 with 140k miles. Checked caliper slides and re-greased them but still intermittently feels like ABS is activated. Was thinking about replacing ABS sensor but from what i read, that may not fix. Going to try bleeding brakes and see if that eliminates.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same issue on my 2013 Avenger. I have new ABS sensor for front right wheel and have bought caliper rebuild kits for both front brakes. Has anyone come up with a solution?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts