Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed an aftermarket radio in there car? If so, where did you get the kits at and how hard is it to take the dash apart?

·
Registered
477 Posts
I considered it. but changed my mind because of the extra adapters that are needed if you have the steering wheel radio controls...

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
Well, it is a new car. You may be able to use one from Jeep, or Chrysler vehicles. Not sure why they are so high though. Well, the harness is used for MyGig radios. that is the only reason I can think of.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I was gonna get a new head unit but i just could not give upmy 6 disc changer lol but i did pull the stock radio out and hook a harness up in the back so i can hook my amp up to push my two 10' subs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I purchased a nav radio, sirius antenna, bluetooth module from crutchfield, for my 07 ram 1500. They can get you whatever you need for your car. I got an adapter to use the factory amp. I soldered the wires on it to radio wires, for a clean install, no cutting the factory wires that way. As the dash is odd ball, I ordered a factory dash trim piece that was used on the factory nav unit. I am now waiting on warm weather, suppose to snow again tomorow and an adapter I ordered from ebay to mount the nav radio. Wish me luck. I dont have the my gig on my Avenger, but I did have the factory uconnect added last week. However I still have not had to set it up and use it. I am going to keep the factory radio, but am thinking of adding a small lcd up front and hooking to the video out on the factory radio. Fun fun fun. too many projects not enough time to do them all.:p

·
Registered
542 Posts
they do make a wirering harness and a double din and single din kit for the car, metra makes them, ive had a double din in mine and then switched back out to a single din,,, the dash comes off easy, take the chrome piece around the shifter off and then the little black section infront of the shifter out, and then the piece that goes around the sifter and up the sides of the dash comes off, after that the silver dash just pull forward

Reactions: jwrico

·
Registered
27 Posts
Kenwood radio

what kind of radio did you put in? I bout the double din kenwood. It has a garmin gps built in. I forgot in the post I got a free review backup camera also. the weather was nice last week, so I started the install. So far I have gps antenna in and the wire harness soldered up and reader and old radio out. I hope it all works as planned. I also bought the adapter for the stearing wheel remote contols to work on the Kenwood.
;)

·
Registered
542 Posts
yea i had a kenwood double din in mine, but i had problems with it skipping at higher volume, i also put in boston acoustic z series 6 1/2s in the doors and the back deck, 2 boston acoustic g-555 subs in the car (the big 6x9 lookalike) 2 boston acoustic 2 channel amps and a boston acoustic 4 channel, i added another set of tweeters too from boston, the car hits about 145 db, the radio install is pretty easy with it, the only thing your gonna need is an antenna adaptor cuz its a weird connection, but you shoudl be fine with everything working

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
145 db, man that is loud. I had an Infinity system in my last car and ended up taking it out and selling it. It was too loud for me. Nice system though!

·
Registered
542 Posts
i had a 2004 grand am se that i had all ma audio hard kore stuff in, 2 12's 4000 watt mono block, 800 watt 4 channel, 8 band eq, and two extra kinetic batteries, i was hitting 150.1 db with that, i won 5 trophys for it, 3 1st place and 2 2nd place trophys, it was a shame that i wrecked the car when sombody rear ended me and then i hit a tree, the tree fell right up the center of my car,

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
Man, talk about some bad luck. Glad to see you are carrying over the car stereo tradition to the Avenger. Do you have any rattling problems with this car?

When I had my system in my 96 Probe, I stripped out the entire interior and sprayed it with 'Quiet Coat'. It was suppose to decrease the rattling, and road noise. It wasn't too bad, but it didn't help all the loose crap that was outside of the interior.

·
Registered
542 Posts
it still rattles a little but i dynamatted the trunk the only problem is the trunk seals arent that great and alot of air exscapes when it hits in the 140s im still trying to figure a way to make it seal tighter

·
Registered
542 Posts
nah woudlnt be able to to get to my eq or to the extra batteries then

1 - 20 of 47 Posts