Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone modified the air box intake by cutting open the left side of the air snorkel and removing the lower portion and fiber glassing it making both sides open to bring more air to the engine? :3-smash:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Air Box Mod reply and question

Wow. I just had my hood open in the garage and was wondering that same exact thing. I know when air is colder and more dense or compressed the engine responds better not sure if colder air is more oxygen rich air.
Back to the point. I was looking at the intake of the air box also and wanting to do this same thing.
I also heard from a coworker about drilling holes in the air box but I don't want to do this thinking it will pull dirt from the engine compartment and dirty filters quicker.
Can anyone with experience answer this question? :4-dontknow:
thanks.
Dustin.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree that drilling holes would draw dirt in as well as hot air. I did cut the snorkel and glassed it to increase air flow, it was an easy mod. I bought a fiberglass repair kit from Walmart for under 20 bucks and used a Dremal tool to cut the openings, it only took a couple of hours. I will try to post pictures.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone modified the air box intake by cutting open the left side of the air snorkel and removing the lower portion and fiber glassing it making both sides open to bring more air to the engine? :3-smash:

I did actually cut the left side of the air intake open with a Dremel tool so I have 2 intake ports open above the grill but left the underside of the airbox alone. Sends a slight Help but not huge. I will try to get a picture in here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mod stock intake

I recently did this also..

Cut open the left side of the intake.
Cut open the bottom of it that went nowhere.
Cut off the arm on the right side that went nowhere.

Also shortened the part that goes into the filter housing.

Just trying to get a little more air in there until I can afford a CAI..

·
Registered
18 Posts
I cut out a 3 inch diameter hole in the bottom of the airbox, used a 3 inch metal collar, attached a section of 3 inch flexible aluminum pipe, and ran it down to the open part of the lower grill, removed the original intake transition from the lower part of the front of airbox, covered it with a metal plate, then used spray foam on the inside of the airbox to insulate it. The only air that can get to the throttle body is now strictly from cold air coming from the pipe from the lower end of the grille
Works pretty good. I kept to stock filter.
I believe this is considered to be a Ram Air conversion. Please respond if anyone thinks I have it wrong!

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
and how is the air filtered now? From your description the air is coming in from under the box, below the filter and going straight into the engine

and I'd be careful in the rain when running through puddles, if you suck any water in, you will be screwed

·
Registered
193 Posts
Anyone have some pics to post? I trying to picture this in my mind, but it's been a while since I've inspected my air box..

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
yeah, been a while since I have been in there as well. Maybe I am remembering wrong...

Seen too many air intakes and I guess getting older my memory is not quite what it used to be. Can't sort through all the data anymore

·
Registered
18 Posts
Airbox mod

I cut out a 3 inch diameter hole in the bottom of the airbox, used a 3 inch metal collar, attached a section of 3 inch flexible aluminum pipe, and ran it down to the open part of the lower grill, removed the original intake transition from the lower part of the front of airbox, covered it with a metal plate, then used spray foam on the inside of the airbox to insulate it. The only air that can get to the throttle body is now strictly from cold air coming from the pipe from the lower end of the grille
Works pretty good. I kept to stock filter.
I believe this is considered to be a Ram Air conversion. Please respond if anyone thinks I have it wrong!
Any comments, guys?

·
Registered
2 Posts
i'm a little late chiming in but you can go on ebay and purchase a short cold air intake that will give you more power and gas mileage and a better sound without changing your exhaust...I purchased mine for around 80$ all you do is pull your air box and install it into your existing snorkel ....I cut X's in the snorkel tube and pushed the breather tube and MAF sensor back in place.....it was very easy and I'm very pleased with the results....hope this helps

·
Registered
18 Posts
and how is the air filtered now? From your description the air is coming in from under the box, below the filter and going straight into the engine

and I'd be careful in the rain when running through puddles, if you suck any water in, you will be screwed

·
Registered
18 Posts
I didn't properly explain the entire mod.
I bought an aftermarket filter, and installed it where the original filter was. Now, I draw cold air from under the front of the car, and it has to travel up thru the bottom of airbox, thru the stock rubber sleeve that leads to the throttle body.
I am going to change it again, using 4" pipe and put a metal "trumpet" end right behind the lower grille with a piece of screen over it to keep insects and other debris from getting into the author. There is enough room to do it.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Sounds like a good idea. Have you finished it? If so post some pics.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Right on. On another car that issued to own I ran the intake pipe straight to the wheel well and ran it behind the front bumper. It worked really well. I was thinking about taking out the bottom corner grill piece and drilling out the mesh so air would flow through it and placing the filter there. But if I am going to do anything else to my intake I will completely redo it and change the pipe size down to 2.5 in. instead of 3 in or mixing it up some.

·
Registered
38 Posts
So there's no images any1 has to show their work modding the stock AI box?? Its been a while since any1s last post on this. Does the left side snorkel go anywhere or is that a dead end?

·
Registered
2008 Chrysler Sebring 2.4L
55 Posts
The left side being open would absolutely allow in more fresh, outside air. It leads to a small chamber, formed by the left side snorkel, itself, connects to the rest of the right side snorkel... so they all lead to the same spot/down the same path towards the filter element.

There is a little feature on the other side... a small pipe with a closed end, appatently leading to nowhere. I am guessing it is for sound cancellation, but otherwise does nothing for, or against, the performance of the air box.

I haven't cut open mine because I am probably just going to get the K&N CAI... I guess I could cut ooen the left side until then, won't hurt anything. Might whistle, but whatever.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts