Dodge Avenger Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Gotcha. Yeah mine has a really bad cold start right now and the whine is louder than my engine so I don't drive it much. I'm getting under it tomorrow to replace the rack and pinion and bleed all my systems really good to make sure it's not a pump running with an air pocket in it(doubt this is it but a bleed and fluid check won't hurt anyway) I dropped the trans a few weeks ago and everything was good, no metal flakes and the fluid was all good but replaced it anyway. At this point I'm just trying to keep it alive until I get another vehicle to take its place. Then I'm gonna take the engine apart and check for damage internally

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I don't think it would be the ECU, but have you checked your timing? My odb2 reader can see my timing and the timing itself is fine, a little advanced but for 238,000km I'm not surprised. I'm wondering if its a worn chain guide and the chain just has a little slack.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My obd2 looks all good, it live monitors most of the systems. But I was working on the car and I found a massive exhaust leak that I think may be the source of the noise and loss of power. The factory cat has separated around where the cylinder meets the diameter decreasing cone to the exhaust manifold downpipe connector. Literally blowing out all the way around the cat. Expensive problem but I'm betting it fixes a lot of issues. I was replacing my rack and pinion and noticed it looked kinda gapped so I cranked the car after getting the new rack on and shined a flashlight off focus at the cat and could see all the fumes blowing out. Because of where the cat separated the fumes were blowing down under the car. Barely noticable if you don't know it's there. It's gonna be a while before I can replace the cat and I'll probably just rebuild the exhaust anyway. Been wanting a smaller muffler and dual exhaust. Plus the stock pipes are getting pretty beat up. Resonator looks to be in good condition so I'll probably reuse it as a bolt on so I can replace it later on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The timing chain was my first thought as well for the noise and hesitations but that is a really difficult thing to replace cuz I don't have an engine hoist. I'll focus on the exhaust leak for now and once I get my hands on a hoist I'll look into the timing chain.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I'm not sure that an exhaust leak would be the cause of the noise. Don't get me wrong it's possible, just my noise started back before I did any exhaust work, and at the time my exhaust was still looking pretty good. And now with it being catback straight single tip I haven't heard a single difference on the noise. But either way definately better to fix it, don't need the boys in blue following you for exhaust issues lol

In terms of checking the chain though, may want to make sure the car can sit for awhile. Just in case you find some less than ideal chain issues

·
Registered
40 Posts
Oh yeah definitely. And the hole is large enough that it may be leaking higher frequency noise from the engine and thus not letting them get canceled out in the res and muff. Because it doesn't travel down the 10ish feet of pipe as it would in a straight pipe it also doesn't get compressed resulting in a higher pitch hitting open air. The crack is also on the cat chamber and the cat itself cancels out some higher frequency noise so that's even more concentrated noise leaking. At least my thinking anyway.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I will say idk why TF the car isn't throwing an O2 code with this leak but it also shows that my ESC is disabled but won't show my codes and the shop couldn't find anything either.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Ahh right on the cat chamber I could see some squeeling for sure. On our cars I never really paid much attention but I don't believe there is much in the way of on-exhaust 02 sensors. That's probably why, there's nothing to send a code back that's all.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts