Alternator/Battery issues

Discussion in 'UK' started by Gaz, Apr 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Gaz

Gaz New Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Hey Guys has anyone had this problem, whilst driving I had the dreaded Bing of doom sound and my battery warning light came on (car has only done 64k). Pulled into Halfords and they checked my battery and claimed it was only producing 10 amps so needed changing, but they dont stock the one I need. So looked up a Battery with the RAC £130 delivered and fitted so dusted off the plastic and ordered it. RAC came out and asked if Halfords had tested the alternator (which they hadnt) so he went and checked it, claiming its not the Battery its the alternator which was producing 16 volts not 12 volts, and he took the battery away saying the regulator may be faulty and could fry the battery.
    Can anything be done or is it a job of getting a new alternator?
    Forgot to mention shes a petrol sxt 2.0

2. Intrepid

Intrepid Active Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Yes, sounds like the alternator/voltage regulator. They normally produce around 14 volts. You'll have to get a new or rebuilt alternator.

3. Gaz

Gaz New Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ouch cheapest Ive found over here is £344, ($500 almost) :( diesel ones are more common and cheaper, but if its needed its needed

4. 5rebel9

5rebel9 Active Member Site Supporter Level 1 Military

Media:
    Albums:
    Did you try crossing the part number for your alternator to one from say a Caliber 2.0 petrol motor? they MIGHT be the same, but can't say as to price over there. Maybe a parts breaker(auto salvage yard)???

5. Gaz

Gaz New Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Hey Reb, though of that but think I will take the pain and go for new or refurb, to many unknowns with a breaker, if it was a basic lump of iron like a manifold I have no probs with breakers but if its a complex item, best to go clean....speaking of which if anyone has a central console strip of lights as in the elec seat, esp on/off, light dip etc buttons I would be very interested, my driver heated seat light has died and it appears to be a fixed circuit with L.E.D.s so cant just change the buld, that will get my ears pricked up.

6. Intrepid

Intrepid Active Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
  7. Gaz

Gaz New Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Oh well, looks like I'm off the road in the Dodge until the 21st then the car will be fixed :), prices have been insane some quotes were almost 4 figures for new alternator and battery, in the end the garage up the road will do it for £485 (both fitted), one concern I have which Im hoping is linked to the Alternator is my engine light has now come on.

Ive still got use of the Wife's little Chevy