Any thoughts on 0 gauge wire

Discussion in '2.4L' started by Deryck, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Deryck

Deryck New Member

looking for advice on replacing my power wiring and ground wiring with 0 gauge wire also considering running 0 gauge to the trunk for a second battery I already have a after market alternator

Any thoughts ?

JT1112 likes this.
  2. Intrepid

Intrepid Active Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Just curious why you would want to do that....putting some wild amp sound system in the car?

3. Deryck

Deryck New Member

I am putting a complete sound system in and plan on running new speaker wires on the amps and just to get the best over all power

4. Deryck

Deryck New Member

Also plan on adding aftermarket light system

5. 5rebel9

5rebel9 Active Member Site Supporter Level 1 Military

Media:
    Albums:
    What motor do you have in your ride? The 2.4 charging system is strained as it is with factory electronics. You may want to investigate that "angle" also.

6. Deryck

Deryck New Member

I have the 2.4 and I have both ice the lack of power with everything stock I am looking to the second battery over the capacitor rout because the battery in theory has a consistent charge rather then short bursts to compensate for the bass

7. 5rebel9

5rebel9 Active Member Site Supporter Level 1 Military

Media:
    Albums:
    Yes but the amperage draw rate to operate may exceed alternator capacity,also the 2.4 uses a clutched alternator pulley system tied in with the TIPM. They are prone to the pulley going bad. But good luck to you and post some pic's when you "git er done"!

8. JT1112

JT1112 New Member

Thought is the bigger the better go for it

9. stevemcc0322

stevemcc0322 Member

Media:
    I have really put off replying to this because it is a kinda long winded answer. You got yourself an aftermarket alternator, Did you get bigger wires for your alternator? Yes bigger wires can carry a bigger current but where is that current being produced and what is the gauge wire there? If your running a 2 gauge wire from the alternator then going any bigger than that will not have no effect.
    With having an extra battery, Do you plan on running an automatic battery switch? Or are you planning to run marine or deep cycle batteries? You also have to upgrade your ground wire as well.
    What kind of set up are you planning on running? Just 1 amp? What are you pushing with that amp? what voltage? Are you running bridged? Series or parallel? What ohm? What kind of enclosure?

Lots of questions. I did this as a kid at a high end shop. I could make a 50 watt hooked up to a 8 inch sub sound like a 15. I could tune a box like no other. LOL. Sorry it brings back lots of memories.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    JT1112 likes this.