Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering if you have a problem with the way the suspension is, it was fine before I installed projectors with how the stock lights shined and isn't a big deal but I've noticed that the car is somewhat bouncy in a way, I'm sure replacing the struts and shocks will help but I'm wondering if anyone has done aftermarket suspension to help with the projector light line, if I'm like 5' from the back of a normal sized car I have to have my lights adjusted to about middle of the bumper instead of where I should about somewhere in the brake light heights alil under the side mirrors ( just a way to help visualize) so where I have them it doesn't shine very far and I'll would be constantly blinding people whenever I hit bumps if I had then where I should.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I know how how to adjust them properly, to add onto that I have the step down ones where the driver's side (we'll both side has it but does it on driver's side) has a light step down so it doesn't blind incoming traffic so that makes it worse, in that picture I probably have the upper step set at the bottom of that yellow line lol.

I wanted to look into upgrading the suspension and have it more sporty but also be able to lower it some as well, I've never used anything other than stock for suspension parts, I've changed out my whole suspension on my other car that had about 260k on it at the time and that was mainly due to carrying 100s of lbs of stuff quite a few times that year I changed them it's was still less bounty than this. Its not as bad as I'm making it sound because during the day you wouldn't really know nothing but the projectors at night make it standout alot, when I see other stock projector cars there's barely even move like they have stiff suspensions and mine is like I'm riding a pillow over bumps lol

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So if I'm going to replace the struts I was thinking of just getting those Megan coilovers because I had planned on lowering springs if I had to take any suspension parts apart but if I'm going to replace the whole strut I mite as well do a coilovers for 600. Question is will I still need to get the camber bolts kit and rear trailing arms. I'm still debating on what I should do. I would like adjustable struts because every so often I got out of town my where I go would be alil hard to go places with it lowered.

·
Premium Member
6,682 Posts
You're on the right track about doing coil overs and probably needed additional components. Just remember WHY they are needed when you lower the coil overs....ALIGNMENT. You change heights, you'll need to recheck alignment , especially for camber. If in my opin., you may want to not max lower, if you are going to be doing often road condition changes.
Good Luck! :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I wouldnt do anything over 1.5" I would probably set it at 1.2 maybe 1" because of the conditions I drive in now. I mite lower it 2" every once in awhile but probably not. But coilovers would be nice to have that option for if I want to in the future. My question is has anyone did the Megan coilovers(I think there's 2 sets, I would be getting the cheaper ones) and was it worth it?

Also if I just did 1" drop would I need the rear arms or could I get by with stock? And just change it at a later date?
I see it as if I'm planing on lowering and I have to replace my struts anyways I mite as will do the coilovers because it would be close to the came price. Yea I could just get the strut them selves then the springs and would be cheap but the coilovers would be a better option still. I'm only worried of how they are, I know that's a great brand but I haven't really seen anyone use them yet.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I probably would end up doing a 1.5 drop because I'm just gauging it by how my car sits with 130k on stock suspension probably has a 0.5 drop already lol and also I would be the one doing the alignment, I always have on my other vehicles. On my last car I literally replaced the whole suspension at 200k then did a alignment and had perfect wear, on that same alignment at I think 320k was still great before I got rear ended and totaled. Now hopefully I can keep this car like that one, bought it with 90k just just like this one and never had any major problems.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You will want the adjustable arms in the rear. I had the H&R springs installed without the adjustable arms and I was rubbing the edge of the wheel well often. Especially with passengers. Once the adjustable arms were installed I've never had any rubbing yet....Alignment shop had to eyeball the rear as apparently there are no specs, since the stock arms don't adjust.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I will definitely get them which ever route I go.

I send a email to megan racing to get alil more info before I buy, 1 I asked what is the longevity/durability of these long term compared to oe strut system and do these have replaceable components because I'll be using them long term and there answer was they will not long as long as oe struts and is mainly for performance use and that I should go with lowering springs for longevity.
I would have thought it was the other way around and that it would last longer. It makes me kind of question getting them,am I gonna be stuck buying another set1-2yrs from now, made my decision hard now, I was literally going to buy then Thursday.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts