Avenger 2014 Lighting bolt, ESP, Check engine

Discussion in 'Dodge Avenger General Discussion' started by rrohena, May 16, 2017.

1. rrohena

rrohena New Member

Media:
    New to the forum. I have a 2014 Avenger, 55K miles, with the lighting bolt, ESP light (I think, see below) and check engine. Code P2173. Like other drivers, it stalls when the lighting bolt light comes up and turning off and on the car resets the 2 lights and the car drives fine for a few miles.

The mechanic has spent over 10 hours working in it and these have been replaced:
    Vapor canister and line
    Throttle body
    PCV valve
    MAP sensor
    Canister purge solenoid valve

After replacing these one by one, the car seemed to work for about 20+ miles but stalled again. One thing I did notice is that there is oil in the rim of the throttle body when replaced (don't know if important).

He has check for vacuum leaks but has not detected anything, especially the manifold.
    Finally took it to the Dodge dealer. After a week they have not been able to find anything either, although they are aware that the check engine is reporting code. They can't detect vacuum issues either.

Throwing this message out to see if anyone has any other ideas or has have this problem resolved.

Thank you.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  2. 5rebel9

5rebel9 Active Member Site Supporter Level 1 Military

Media:
    Albums:
    According to possible areas of fault the next step is wiring from the map sensor to the computer. But I have read a number of threads here that the gasket between the Intake manifold and the cylinder head was bad. Sometimes the only way to track some problems down is to do "exploratory surgery" and remove the Intake manifold to check it out. I take it you have the 4 cylinder motor? Also if that is done, it would be the perfect time to clean and check the intake manifold runner system in the manifold of excess oil and gunk as that tends to be a "weak link" in these motors. Good luck in getting your 'Venger working well.

3. rrohena

rrohena New Member

Media:
    Well, after dozens of hours later, we've identified that the new throttle body was also defective. Ordered a new one online and 75 miles later the car hasn't reported any more check engines.
    Hate to badmouth the dodge dealer, but they wanted to charge me $900 to replace a $200 part. WHY Dodge?
    Well, it's fixed. Also make sure that parts like these are Mopar certified.

4. 5rebel9

5rebel9 Active Member Site Supporter Level 1 Military

Media:
    Albums:
    Good to hear that you are running again. Yes it is frustrating when NEW parts are installed only to find out they are bad also.