Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both come with 3.5L V6. Why is the charger rated at 250 hp and 250 torque while the Avenger rated at 235 hp and 232 torque?

anyone know?

Charger is 5 speed autostick with RWD , correct?
Avenger 6 speed autostick with FWD, correct?

I know both available in AWD.

Aren't these numbers based on flywheel and not wheel on the ground? What causes the avenger to be 15 hp and 18 torque less?

- Dan M

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
The Charger runs a 3.5L(a motor) and the Avenger runs a 3.5L(b motor) retuned higher Compression Ratio motor. Trany gear ratio are much different in favor of the 6speed used in the Avenger. There is much more to it than just HP rateings between the two. Even the 0-60 times is in favor of the Avenger. It is 8.9 seconds for the Charger SXT and 6.8 to 7 seconds flat for the Avenger. These Avenger R/T's are quick and most Charger SXT owners do not care if the Avenger wips them in a run stock for stock. Go to Allpar.com all the info on the motors with the spec's on the A version 3.5L (Charger) and the new retuned B version (Avenger). Even the 0-60 times are listed, and they correct times. My performance monitor shows my Avenger R/T when in manumatic mode does do 6.8 0-60 times.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's been a while since I've looked at allpar.com for the avenger. I was under the impression that the engines were one and the same, guess I was wrong.

I have some laptop based OBDII software that does 0-60 times. I'm waiting to put on a few more miles before running it all out and testing. I have about 1500 now.

- Dan M

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Good info....I always thought maybe they were "detuned" for the smaller lighter car. At any rate the 3.5 motor in my avenger puts the 3.5 motor that was in my magnum to shame. Tranny too. The manumatic in the magnum was no fun to drive with at all, and because it was in the same position as the "D" gear, if you have a habit of holding onto the shift lever you were constantly downshifting in turns when you didn't want to.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Either way you have to take into account the weight differences also. running a 3.5L in a vehicle that weighs 4800 Lbs VS a vehicle that weighs 3200 or 3300 Lbs is going to make a difference. You can't change the laws of physics.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I too thought the engines were exactly the same. I was thinking that any engine mods for the SXT charger "may" fit the R/T Avenger engine; of course it would have to fit in the confined space.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
Either way you have to take into account the weight differences also. running a 3.5L in a vehicle that weighs 4800 Lbs VS a vehicle that weighs 3200 or 3300 Lbs is going to make a difference. You can't change the laws of physics.

Yes that is true Shadowvenger, weight to HP ratio is the biggest factor. But the 2006 V6 Charger is only 3800 lbs and the V8 is around 4100. Allpar could be wrong on the weights for the 2006 models I do not know. If there not wrong, than 500 pounds is not much difference. I do not want you to think I'm being an a** as I have respect for all the members. And I'm not trying to pull your chain by posting the weights I found on Allpar.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
According to edmunds.com

2008 Charger SXT - Curb Weight: 4062 lbs.
2008 Charger RT RWD - Curb Weight: 4085 lbs
2008 Charger RT AWD - Curb Weight: 4268 lbs.
2008 Charger SRT8 - Curb Weight: 4160 lbs.

2008 Avenger SXT - Curb Weight: 3405 lbs.
2008 Avenger RT FWD - Curb Weight: 3568 lbs.
2008 Avenger RT AWD - Curb Weight: 3738 lbs

My avenger RT FWD is almost 500 lighter than charger SXT and just over 500 lighter than charger RT RWD.

2006 charger R/T - Curb Weight: 4031 lbs
2006 Charger - Curb Weight: 3727 lbs.

edmunds.com is great for research like this.

- Dan M

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I wonder why the 2006 charger and the 2008 sxt charger are so different in weight. Was there a 4 cyl option in 2006 or something? I mean almost 300 lbs? Did they add sandbags to the car? lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Both come with 3.5L V6. Why is the charger rated at 250 hp and 250 torque while the Avenger rated at 235 hp and 232 torque?

anyone know?

Charger is 5 speed autostick with RWD , correct?
Avenger 6 speed autostick with FWD, correct?

I know both available in AWD.

Aren't these numbers based on flywheel and not wheel on the ground? What causes the avenger to be 15 hp and 18 torque less?

- Dan M
Dude they are 3.6 not 3.5 like come on

1 - 15 of 15 Posts