Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
I bought my wheels and tires from tirerack they came perfect and they will adjust the tire size automatically for larger rims and put the tire pressure gauges in the new wheel so all you have to do is start her up and everything works right you dont have to get any speedometer adjustments.

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
I was wondering about the speedometer. I suppose you didn't have any problems then. I bet you have to stay at an overall size to avoid any adjustments. Thanks for the information robof568.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Tirerack is very cool for seeing what you like/dislike when it comes to rims. Also the reviews on different tires come in handy as well!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was wondering about the speedometer. I suppose you didn't have any problems then. I bet you have to stay at an overall size to avoid any adjustments. Thanks for the information robof568.
The good thing about tirerack is that it will not give you combinations that exceed the height of your factory wheel and tire combination. For example going from 18's to 20s the tire is just much smaller, but the height is same. That ensures that you will not have to have your speedometer adjusted or rub the wheel wells. You can order different combinations just not through the fit my car section.:smileup:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Be careful. Buying rims today is more than just wrappin' em in recommended rubber and bolting them on. If you have a Tire Pressure Monitoring System, you will HAVE TO get your new rims slotted for the TPMS chip and I think it may need to be recalibrated to account for different pressures if necessary.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Be careful. Buying rims today is more than just wrappin' em in recommended rubber and bolting them on. If you have a Tire Pressure Monitoring System, you will HAVE TO get your new rims slotted for the TPMS chip and I think it may need to be recalibrated to account for different pressures if necessary.

Slotted? I've never heard of that, but I guess depending on the custom rims, it may be necessary. The sensors I've dealt with are attached to the stems or banded, and would seam they would have enough clearance. But then again...I've never dealt with custom rims! hehe

·
Registered
65 Posts
That is why tirerack is good they will install the appropriate sensor in your rims before they mount the tires. I did not have to do anything except start my car and the pressure gauges worked exactly like the factory.:smileup:

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
That is why tirerack is good they will install the appropriate sensor in your rims before they mount the tires. I did not have to do anything except start my car and the pressure gauges worked exactly like the factory.:smileup:

Interesting....I never had 'tirerack' do anything per se...only had them drop ship rubber to an installer and then brought car/rims to them..

·
Registered
118 Posts
They probably just did it anyway then, I know not a lot of people know about the Tire Pressure Monitoring thing. My brother went to get a Lancer, but it had crappy wheels. I found some nice RO_JAs for it, but then the dealer was like, "Ok, we'll order the rimes and tires, which are $1600 together, but then we would have to change your Tire Pressure chips, which would add an extra $1000." We walked out at that point.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
They probably just did it anyway then, I know not a lot of people know about the Tire Pressure Monitoring thing. My brother went to get a Lancer, but it had crappy wheels. I found some nice RO_JAs for it, but then the dealer was like, "Ok, we'll order the rimes and tires, which are $1600 together, but then we would have to change your Tire Pressure chips, which would add an extra $1000." We walked out at that point.

Change your tire pressure "chips"? I'm glad you walked out. Even if the cost was only $10, calling them "chips" puts their credibility in question in my mind..

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yeah, it's a story alright. I think they thought we were XBox wannabes, not someone who may have actually known something about it. All this electronic stuff is such a nebulous thing, and so crazy patented that it's really hard for anybody to keep up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts