Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Avenger R/T with 45,000 miles. About a month ago, I tried to start it in the morning (it was cold out ~ 35 degrees) and the starter just clicked, not turning the engine over. I jumped it and it started and it has started ever since.

HOWEVER, the check engine light came on after the jump start and now my remote starter won't work either. THANKS in advance for any help! The check engine light has remained on since that day.

·
Banned
6,872 Posts
Could be that the battery has a low voltage which will trigger the CEL. I know this from experience. I put the battery on a charger, had my guys at GY check her out and clear the code and no more issues. I have a dead amp that was pulling power through the remote wire which is why my battery was being drained. Wouldn't hurt to have the battery checked out.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Is it a factory remote start? I do believe that with the "engine light on" there is a safety feature that will not start the car. You'll have to get that cleared. AS far as the engine light being on, just get it reset and see if that fixes the problem. That or pull the code out of it and see what it is. If you disconnect the battery from the car, leave it for a couple of hours, i believe the engine light should reset itself. I ran my battery dead a few months ago, used a battery charger and got going that way. My light didn't come on though.

When you jump started, where were the jumper cables connected on your car? There's a reason I ask this,,

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Couple of things. First, even though the battery might not have been completely dead, it will throw a code giving you a CEL. Resetting the light can be done by just disconnecting the battery for about 15 minutes or so and reconnecting it. Of course the battery is in the wheel well but there is a nice ground wire connection under the hood that I beleive will allow the disconnect. Or maybe it was the positive wire...I don't recall 100% but they are ones you likely connected to for jumping the car.

Second, I think this will cause the remote start not to work, so once you get the code cleared try your remote start again. You might also need to reset the auto-up down power windows as well.

I know it kinda freaks you out when it happens but don't worry, it has happened to mine as well and it suffered no long lasting problems as a result. Not sure why the batterys do that, but it seems the colder weather has a bad effect on them once they are a few years old. I have yet to replace mine though, and it seems fine in warmer months.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies. I ttok it to Autozone and had the code read. It said "Low Voltage" -- that's all. TO be presumed with a dead battery. My battery checked out OK expect the charge was a little low on amps. Should be 525 CCA when the battery only read 460 Amps. And hte alternator was OK.

So I guess I just need to get the code cleared and it sounds like my remote start (factory, by the way) will then work. I plan on having the dealer do that at me next oil change.

Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I guess you can say I have the same problem today is Friday January 16 I have a Dodge Avenger 2008 R/T. The battery is completely dead and try to give it a boost for an hour. The only progress I got from it was at least the lights turn on. At first it was making a clicking sound then turned off completely. After the booth at least the front panel lights are trademarks.I'm not giving up on this car because its paid off but dam it. Its difficult for a female

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Sounds about right if it's the original Mopar battery Dee, it's definitely time to replace. Our cars are very finicky if the battery is weak. At least it's not an expensive fix.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
For anyone with battery issues and living in the colder climate areas. If replacing the battery, the stock one is 525 CCA. Find the largest CCA battery you can find and buy that. As a rule of thumb these days, batteries have a life expectancy of about 5 years. Who ever you have put in a battery for you, make sure they clean and use dielectric grease to all connections. There is 2 at the battery posts, the clamp and the clamp to the cable bolt. Then there are numerous cables to clean and grease at both of the under hood connectors that are your jump start locations. This cleaning and coating with the dielectric grease will ensure a more trouble free electrical supply.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
If you do low mileage it is worse, I'm going through batteries at a rate of one every two years or so. Also, as Intrepid points out, if the voltage drops even a little, all sorts of other things start to play up. For example, the auto-lift on the windows, cold starting and false alarm soundings... :/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts