Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of oil and fuel is best for the Avenger? 2014 SXT 3.6L.

As of right now I just use the cheap crap that Firestone uses. Probably just cheap recycled bullsh*t oil.

Also for fuel type I always just use 87, but should I be using 89?

·
Premium Member
6,323 Posts
On both fuel and oil, recommendations will be all over the "map". But you need to do an honest assessment of YOUR driving conditions (long /short drives,drag racer/granny driver, standard oil/synthetic preferences). and start looking for products that will best help your motor in those conditions of operation.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On both fuel and oil, recommendations will be all over the "map". But you need to do an honest assessment of YOUR driving conditions (long /short drives,drag racer/granny driver, standard oil/synthetic preferences). and start looking for products that will best help your motor in those conditions of operation.
Both long and short drives. Every once in a while a drag race lol

·
Registered
44 Posts
3.6l
I run mobile 1 (15,000 mile oil), Wix oil filter, K&N drop in Air filter and run Premium 91-93 Non-ethanol. I have seen 36mpg (average) on a few occasions with mostly Interstate/Freeway driving/long 55mph country roads.

Typically I average 25 mpg (city/highway). If its mostly interstate then Ill see 30-32 mpg.

I only bring up the ethanol because around here its darn near impossible to find any 87 with-out it. (may be up to 10%) If i put anything more than 5%, my mileage maxes out at 29mpg. I cant do anything to get it higher. Now i cant back this up at all, but i think the car runs smoother without-ethanol. I have also tried the E85 and that was horrible mileage, but cost per mileage was about the same as 87.

·
Premium Member
6,323 Posts
Yeah typical Gov't thinking about fuels! Oh make fuel from corn, lower emissions! But you burn just as much(if not more), and more long term use problems from it.

·
Premium Member
6,323 Posts
Sorry for not suggesting on oil and fuels sooner Ebab17. As far as fuel, I say(opinion) run what the book recommends. As for oil, ALL my rides were bought well used and at 70,000plus miles with no service history. I have run the cheap stuff(not recycled) oils and found slightly higher oil consumption using them. I have started running Shell Ultra 5000 conventional oil in my rides and am satisfied with its use. More than oils I also suggest quality oil filters, not store brand(no name). During my many driving years, I have found the better care you give a car the better service it will give back to you! There are folks out there in the world that have the mindset of "drive it till it drops" and them "complain about cost of repairs". Please don't be one of them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry for not suggesting on oil and fuels sooner Ebab17. As far as fuel, I say(opinion) run what the book recommends. As for oil, ALL my rides were bought well used and at 70,000plus miles with no service history. I have run the cheap stuff(not recycled) oils and found slightly higher oil consumption using them. I have started running Shell Ultra 5000 conventional oil in my rides and am satisfied with its use. More than oils I also suggest quality oil filters, not store brand(no name). During my many driving years, I have found the better care you give a car the better service it will give back to you! There are folks out there in the world that have the mindset of "drive it till it drops" and them "complain about cost of repairs". Please don't be one of them.
So if I buy Penzoil, what kind of filter to I buy with the oil? I've never bought my own oil or filter before.

·
Premium Member
6,323 Posts
I have more consistently used fram filters, But WIX , MANN(german brand) and PUROLATOR are good too. As a side note you may want to investigate the newer filters designed to work with synthetic oil if you go with synthetic oils. To be honest, I thought there would have been more response to your thread. I know this subject has been discussed at lenght in the past, maybe do a search here in the forum and see what others have already posted?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have more consistently used fram filters, But WIX , MANN(german brand) and PUROLATOR are good too. As a side note you may want to investigate the newer filters designed to work with synthetic oil if you go with synthetic oils. To be honest, I thought there would have been more response to your thread. I know this subject has been discussed at lenght in the past, maybe do a search here in the forum and see what others have already posted?
Yeah i'll look around on the forum. Thanks for the suggestions i'll look into them

·
Registered
33 Posts
The most important thing with oil is to stick with the same major brand/type, i.e. synthetic, regular, high mileage, etc. at recommended intervals.

Fuel is a huge debate. I mostly run 89 in my 3.6 and use 91 when I can afford it.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I run 87 and use Mobil super 5000 conventional with a fram filter. I hardly ever drive highway but when I do I see between 27-33mpg and get 21-24 city. I almost always drive in auto-stick cuz I hate the trans being in 6th gear at 40-45mph.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I run 87 and use Mobil super 5000 conventional with a fram filter. I hardly ever drive highway but when I do I see between 27-33mpg and get 21-24 city. I almost always drive in auto-stick cuz I hate the trans being in 6th gear at 40-45mph.
Love to hate the 6 speed.

·
Registered
194 Posts
As mentioned before, this is a love and hate relationship when it comes to fuels and oils.
Me personally as a former Chrysler employee I use Pennzoil Platinum 5-20w in my Avenger. I have since the first oil change and have had 0 issues with the motor. I used to be a Mobil 1 user and when Mobil changed there formula several years ago I have not used it since. I've tried various oils in my old vehicle and I stayed at using Pennzoil Platinum or Amsoil. The "other" oils on the market could not withstand my last engine and when I would send my oil results to BlackStone Labs (http://www.blackstone-labs.com) the results came back stating that Amsoil and Pennzoil Platinum had the least engine wear. But of course this is my experience and everyone else could have different results.
As for the oil filter, I have used the factory Mopar filter and in some cases the NAPA GOLD filter which is a "WIX" filter since the first oil change, but as someone else mentioned;
"I have more consistently used fram filters, But WIX , MANN(german brand) and PUROLATOR are good too"
These are also the other highest rated filters on the market. Now another thing to keep in mind as most oil filters are designed to work there best for about 3000miles. Beyond that the filters start to break down and become useless. I would highly recommend using an oil filter recommended by AMSOIL as there oils run from 10,000+mile interchanges. And I know this from experience as when I had an oil change done on my last vehicle at 5000miles BlackStone suggested the oil was still stable for another 5000miles but there were signs of the oil filter containments in the oil from the filter breaking down.
Anyways, long story short.....
I use:
Pennzoil Platinum 5-20w
Mopar factory filter
93octane fuel (my car is tuned)
otherwise
87octane is better than 89 as the pcm monitors everything anyways. If the pcm detects knock using 87 its going to pull timing. If you want to use the estimated 89octane thats up to you. Me personally if I was stock or minor bolt ons I would use either 87 or 93, I don't like the idea of the mixed fuel to get the mid grade. Now the other end of the spectrum, if you have a flex fuel 3.6 I would definitely recommend E85 for performance as the pcm monitors alcohol content of the fuel and adjust timing and fuel maps for the fuel....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As mentioned before, this is a love and hate relationship when it comes to fuels and oils.
Me personally as a former Chrysler employee I use Pennzoil Platinum 5-20w in my Avenger. I have since the first oil change and have had 0 issues with the motor. I used to be a Mobil 1 user and when Mobil changed there formula several years ago I have not used it since. I've tried various oils in my old vehicle and I stayed at using Pennzoil Platinum or Amsoil. The "other" oils on the market could not withstand my last engine and when I would send my oil results to BlackStone Labs (http://www.blackstone-labs.com) the results came back stating that Amsoil and Pennzoil Platinum had the least engine wear. But of course this is my experience and everyone else could have different results.
As for the oil filter, I have used the factory Mopar filter and in some cases the NAPA GOLD filter which is a "WIX" filter since the first oil change, but as someone else mentioned;
"I have more consistently used fram filters, But WIX , MANN(german brand) and PUROLATOR are good too"
These are also the other highest rated filters on the market. Now another thing to keep in mind as most oil filters are designed to work there best for about 3000miles. Beyond that the filters start to break down and become useless. I would highly recommend using an oil filter recommended by AMSOIL as there oils run from 10,000+mile interchanges. And I know this from experience as when I had an oil change done on my last vehicle at 5000miles BlackStone suggested the oil was still stable for another 5000miles but there were signs of the oil filter containments in the oil from the filter breaking down.
Anyways, long story short.....
I use:
Pennzoil Platinum 5-20w
Mopar factory filter
93octane fuel (my car is tuned)
otherwise
87octane is better than 89 as the pcm monitors everything anyways. If the pcm detects knock using 87 its going to pull timing. If you want to use the estimated 89octane thats up to you. Me personally if I was stock or minor bolt ons I would use either 87 or 93, I don't like the idea of the mixed fuel to get the mid grade. Now the other end of the spectrum, if you have a flex fuel 3.6 I would definitely recommend E85 for performance as the pcm monitors alcohol content of the fuel and adjust timing and fuel maps for the fuel....
Yeah next oil change I'm gonna use Penzoil 5-20w. Where can I buy the Mopar factory filter? Whenever I see one online it says it doesn't fit my car

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 14 with a 2.4 and 30k miles. i use pennzoil sae 5w20 and a K&N oil filter and premium at speedway/hess. i also add some lucas fuel injector cleaner every time i fill up and i noticed a major difference. I was getting about 300 miles to a full tank before i started started using all that along with just the stock intake.now im getting around 450 after i put on a cai and started using lucas fuel injector cleaner and premium fuel. I do alot of city drivig stop and go so it drops every now and then. Once a month i try to go on a long ride that consists of longer driving time and not alot of breaking to get my mpg back up.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts