Dodge Avenger Forum banner

Best oil and fuel for Avenger?

21K views 55 replies 18 participants last post by  Doch 
#1 ·
What type of oil and fuel is best for the Avenger? 2014 SXT 3.6L.

As of right now I just use the cheap crap that Firestone uses. Probably just cheap recycled bullsh*t oil.

Also for fuel type I always just use 87, but should I be using 89?

#37 ·
I must say after seeing a couple of engine's insides after a life of Penzoil, I was disappointed . I don't recall how often the owners changed Their oil etc.
But, that was years ago...probably a way different oil today.
My opinion is: Use an oil that meets the Chrysler MS-6395 spec, a good filter and change it at no more than 5k miles.
Just My opinion....
Doc

#38 ·
I've also been searching a lot about what fuel type to use in my 2.4, a lot of people say go ahead and use premium and a lot of people say don't because it's a waste.. I'm definitely no granny driver but I'm also not racing all the time so I was thinking about trying 89 in it. Thoughts?

#39 ·
Under NORMAL driving conditions(which is what all specs from the factory are designed to) you'll not achieve appreciable gains to anything with a properly maintained(more than just regular oil/filter changes). A oil consuming and carboned up valve train will benefit from higher grade fuels, but that is really a mask(band aid) to engine overall condition.

#40 ·
So far, running 93 octane has improved Our combined mpg to27.6 which is up from the 24-25 range.
When just across the line in New Jersey We can get 93 octane for 2.89 per gallon.

Will snag a tank of E85 tomorrow when down towards Newark.
I really like the engine response with E85 but it's a haul to get it unless We're down closer to the Nyc/Newark area for Dr's appts etc.
I think I recall reading about E85 tunes that could get a 3.6 up into the 340 hp neighborhood...wonder how the stock transmission would tolerate that kind of hp and torque......
Doc

#41 ·
I would really like to see a "Graph" or chart of the timing advances, fuel flow, things like that, running on the different fuel octane levels. I realize that it's probably very difficult to "replicate " Real World conditions in a lab but I would be very interested in data like that.
I also realize that the majority of the engines out there ARE capable of operating with 87 octane fuel, but with the compression ratios that are 10.2 to 1 in the early years of The Pentastar 3.6 to 11.3 to 1 in The current engines,
In My opinion a higher octane level SHOULD allow the engine management system to run more timing advance for more efficiency when in "Mellow Driving Mode" and HP if You really put Your foot into it.
But again, I am an "Old School " engine Guy and I have much to learn about the new engines and their operating parameters!

Thoughts from The current engine systems Folks out there?
Thanks,
Doc

#44 ·
... Now the other end of the spectrum, if you have a flex fuel 3.6 I would definitely recommend E85 for performance as the pcm monitors alcohol content of the fuel and adjust timing and fuel maps for the fuel....
As far as MPG with different fuels, I find We get just about 28.3 using 93 and around 24.7 using 87... this is overall MPG in Our area.
E85 is a little lower than 87.
Doc

#45 ·
Now how cost effective are the two different grades in cost per gallon compared to the 87 grade? You picked up maybe 50 miles on a tankful at a much higher cost per gallon for the 93 grade, I can't conjecture to the E85 as we don't have that around my area(and no car that is approved for it).

#47 · (Edited)
I Did find this "Article" that had some interesting points in it.
I Esp. thought the section RE: The steps in doing an oil and filter change worth reading.
Seems like it should be basic, right?
Some good pointers RE: filters for the Avengers there as well.

I also found this tip on another on a different site: Also when changing the oil, do the filter first. The filter cartridge is on top of the Pentastar V6. When you open the housing the oil will drain out and into the oil pan. If you do the pan first then when changing the oil filter you will be draining dirty oil into the clean oil in the pan.

Doc

#49 ·
Absolutely,Intrepid!!
I kind of actually enjoy learning and reading about the best way to do things...

BTW, there's a YouTube channel called Project Farm and The Guy there is always doing tests on things and many of the tests are quite educational.
I watched one on Engine Air Filters and which filter the best as well as how restrictive various filters are....

That is an example of a real world useful test... He does alot of "What ifs'" as well some of which are funny and kind of make You think!!
Well worth checking out IMHO.
Doc

#52 ·
Absolutely!! I really enjoy reading and learning what Others find in Their quests for knowledge!!

I'm finding that adding small amounts of Hy-Per Lube ( Product # HPL201) between oil changes seems to keep the "engine chatter" down to a minimum. My 3.6 does use a wee bit of oil between changes ( Which I do at around 5-6k intervals, but I DO change the Mobil 1 Oil Filter at about 3k miles and then run until I hit between 5-6k miles) and I add the Hy-Per Lube when the oil level is down below the full mark. I also did the Seafoam DIY Intake Fogger procedure.

So far My Wife and I are really enjoying Our 'Venger!
Ed

#51 ·
Found this on another Forum RE E85 vs Non E85 and cost etc...

"So per mile cost @$3.69/gal for E10 is 0.16.1 cents
per mile cost @2.69/gal for E85 is 14.2 cents"

"E85 has a higher hp rating in most flex fuel vehicles. Ford actually publishes different numbers for E85 and gas, generally it is a 10 to 15 hp gain because of the added timing you can throw at it. The last time I put E85 in my wife's jeep I did it without her knowing and she told me it felt like it had more power, that's good enough for me. "

Hmmmm....
Doc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.