Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, I WANT TO KNOW WHAT THE best oil for dodge avenger engine 2.4 . last time i changed mobil 1 5w-20 . after how many miles should i changed ?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Before anyone can give you any suggestions we need to know some info:

Are you doing the oil changes yourself?
Are you looking for performance or mpg or life or what?
How are you affected by cost?
Lastly, what is your enviroment like around where you drive?

Once you answer these you may get more specific recommendations.

If you don't give us more info, you will get the M1, RP, Amsoil, Castrol (all synthetics) and then the standard dino oils from people that just pay jiffylube to change it for them since they jack up the price of the synthetic to make it useless.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
:iagree:

What he said!!!!! LOL

·
Registered
370 Posts
i just swapped mine to royal purple just to see how it difffers from castrol synthetic, and also used K&N oil filter. cost me much but for me its all for experience.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I couldn't find Royal Purple 5W-20 here at all for my 2.4. There was everything else besides 5W-20. So ... I tried Castrol EDGE instead. It's a new full synthetic blend. It's more expensive than Castrol Syntec, but about the same price as Royal Purple.

I can't honestly say I noticed more horsepower, but I can honestly say it gave me a smoother and quieter running engine than standard oil. I'd like to test it full throttle. As far as the way I normally drive, sm-o-o-o-o-th runnings :). I need more testing, but the engine seemed to run cooler.

·
Registered
370 Posts
what suck about some auto parts store. they cost more. i went to checkers auto they are selling royal purple for $11 per quart. then i check at donjuiote (its a local convenient store like walmart, they're selling it for $7-$8 per quart. i got a good deal.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
what suck about some auto parts store. they cost more. i went to checkers auto they are selling royal purple for $11 per quart. then i check at donjuiote (its a local convenient store like walmart, they're selling it for $7-$8 per quart. i got a good deal.
That's a very good point to shop around for the oil that works for you. Both Royal Purple and Castrol Edge blow Mobile 1 away as far as engine wear. I'd like to see some specs on Royal Purple vs. Castrol Edge. And so the hype wars begin again. It's just my humble opnion but shouldn't engine wear be the concern and get your power from engine mods?

·
Registered
941 Posts
That's a very good point to shop around for the oil that works for you. Both Royal Purple and Castrol Edge blow Mobile 1 away as far as engine wear. I'd like to see some specs on Royal Purple vs. Castrol Edge. And so the hype wars begin again. It's just my humble opnion but shouldn't engine wear be the concern and get your power from engine mods?
I have to ask for some clarification. Does this hold true if you change your oil at 5k intervals? I am not saying that it isn't true but this is one thing that everyone forgets, its not that they wear better but they wear better over time but what exactly is that time?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Change every 5000 km no-matter what you use. The harder you drive, the more you need a premium oil. Harder doesn't mean drag racing, it could mean sitting in sweltering traffic heat. Anyway, the high priced synthetics are suppose to hold more contamination, so you could go a bit longer and be still safe.

·
Registered
370 Posts
i agree paddy mac. beacuse i drived around 40 miles a day. i need a better oil that gives me better performance and longer life of oil.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I read somewhere that Royal Purple is good for 1 RW Horsepower. Dont know if you will notice it, but everything helps.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Full disclosure I am an Amsoil independent dealer.
I decided to check out the product I'm actually selling so I got a case of the OE 5w 20 for my 2013 Dodge Avenger. I stretched the interval to nine thousand miles sent a sample off for analysis at Blackstone.
Just got the report back. Everything was well below averages They concluded that wear levels were perfectly fine after 9,000 miles of use the TBN and was good at 2.9 They suggested I try going 11,000 miles the next time.
Now this is for Amsoil's OE series for standard drain intervals NOT the XL or Signature extended interval oils.
I can scan and post Blackstone report if anyone's interested

·
Premium Member
6,172 Posts
Amsoil is a very good product line, no question on my part here. BUT I and my dad were once aligned with one of your competitors in the specialty lube market... Texas Refinery Corp. Same type and quality products, price(?) but also not an "on the store shelf" availability product line just like Amsoil.
Good wishes to you, and have a Merry Christmas!:)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Amsoil is a very good product line, no question on my part here. BUT I and my dad were once aligned with one of your competitors in the specialty lube market... Texas Refinery Corp. Same type and quality products, price(?) but also not an "on the store shelf" availability product line just like Amsoil.
Good wishes to you, and have a Merry Christmas!:)
I remmber seeing that at some point.Also rem their ads.
Same to you on the well wishes and Christmas.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts